Jack Replacement

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

Re: Jack Replacement

Postby Youngspanion » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:41 am

Jimi. Can you post a link to the jack that you used for the mod. I am going to attempt it also. You posted a link to the football plate only and I do not wish to get the wrong part.
Youngspanion

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 am

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics ... _Jack.html

You would need the stereo one. If you want to get together some time let me know. I have the tools required and already did a successful job on my Spaltie.

Jimi
BluesBassPlayer

Postby Youngspanion » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:34 pm

Definitely Jimi. Once I get everything I'll let you know. Now that link that you posted. I looked at that jack. Thats a open frame jack. Right? Its just that it looks like it would have a hard time reaching the control cavity. The Wood is about a 1" to 3/4 inch thick and the jack looks like its smaller then that. Length wise.
Youngspanion

Postby Youngspanion » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:38 pm

Unless most of the jack is inside the hole. So when you look into the cavity you really only see the 3 wires going into the hole where the jack is. You don't see the solder joints from looking straight into the cavity. Right?
Youngspanion

Postby Youngspanion » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:43 pm

See. Its thick wood from the outside of the bass body to the cavity where the jack goes in.
Attachments
Cavity L2K.JPG
Cavity L2K.JPG (110.87 KiB) Viewed 14343 times
Youngspanion

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:31 pm

Youngspanion wrote:Definitely Jimi. Once I get everything I'll let you know. Now that link that you posted. I looked at that jack. Thats a open frame jack. Right? Its just that it looks like it would have a hard time reaching the control cavity. The Wood is about a 1" to 3/4 inch thick and the jack looks like its smaller then that. Length wise.

Unless most of the jack is inside the hole. So when you look into the cavity you really only see the 3 wires going into the hole where the jack is. You don't see the solder joints from looking straight into the cavity. Right?

Shouldn't be a problem if the back of the jack is deep inside the hole. You'll just need to pull the wires through the hole and do the soldering on the outside of the body.

Then just insert the jack with the plate attached and screw it down.

You may need to extend the wires a bit, or even replace them with longer wires. Should be easy to do.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Youngspanion » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:57 pm

Is that a picture of the old jack or the new one? It looks like the old one to me. And its much longer then the ones that Jimi has a link to.
Youngspanion

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:22 pm

Sorry. I was being lazy. Should have explained.

Yes, that's the old style jack. I posted the image to show that the leads can extend beyond the body for connection.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Youngspanion » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:38 pm

Now with the new open panel jack, the solder joints would be inside the tunnel from the out side of the bass to the cavity. Right.
Youngspanion

Postby Youngspanion » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:42 pm

I saw a square plate today at a samash. I wonder if the foot ball plate that Jimi links has a curve to it. You would need a curved jack plate to accomodate the curve on the body weather its square or football shaped. RIGHT? Is the square for a different application?
Youngspanion

PreviousNext

Return to The Experimental Bass Association