Would this be a reasonable thing to do?

We are fortunate to count Paul Gagon as a member here, so it seemed natural to give him a home to stretch out in and relax a little. Maybe exercise the grey matter and present a little history of the guitar and bass (amps too!) from his perspective as one of the eminent designers of our time.

Got questions? Great! Good questions might be, "What are the EQ mappings for the M Series preamps?" Or, "What was the thought process behind the MJ-4?" Troubleshooting questions should remain in the regular forums (he reads those too). Finally, please be mindful of how I feel about tech questions via PM or email.

Moderator: Paul Gagon

Would this be a reasonable thing to do?

Postby jglunt2112 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:15 pm

I love my Fullerton SB-2, but I'm partial to basses with one volume control. (Probably the result of playing a P-bass for a thousand years.) The SB-2 has two, one for each pickup, and the balance between those pickups is how you set the bass's tone. (Of course, you all know that.) So if you have to turn volume up or down during a song or set, you have to do it by adjusting one pickup at a time and, at least for me, tweak it several times to get that tonal sweet spot back. Of course, said tweaking also changes the volume as well, so it can all start over. I thought of this possible solution that wouldn't require any routing or other "heavy lifting." Run the volume for both pickups through the first pot, making it a master volume. Change out the second pot for a fader control to dial in how much of each pickup goes to the output. The bass would look exactly the same as it does now, but volume adjustments would be simpler and more consistent tonally. Could this work? Has anybody tried this? Is there a diagram showing the wiring for this with pot values, etc.? Diagrams I can follow; an electronic innovator I am not. Thanks...Jim
jglunt2112

Re: Would this be a reasonable thing to do?

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:57 pm

Reasonable? Sure!

Here you go. Click the image for a PDF suitable for printing.

Pots are both 250KA (250KΩ Audio taper). Those downward pointing arrow thingies represent a connection to ground. Arrange the leads as needed. The final connection to ground is to the sleeve connection on the jack.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby jglunt2112 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:12 pm

Beautiful. I just might have to give this a try. Thank you...Jim
jglunt2112

Postby jglunt2112 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:07 pm

I have had no luck finding a 250k-250k audio taper blend pot. Everything I find is linear. I've checked All Parts, Stew Mac, Amazon, and even G&L. Does anyone have an idea where I can find one of these? Thanks!...Jim
jglunt2112

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:16 am

jglunt2112 wrote:I have had no luck finding a 250k-250k audio taper blend pot.

I was working off a really old set of notes.

A standard 250K-250K blend should be fine.

Sorry about that.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby jglunt2112 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:52 am

No problem. Even the diagram you sent me states plainly a 250kA pot for the blender. I was wondering if I was going crazy. Now there's no more need to wonder...I know for sure that I am. Thanks...Jim
jglunt2112

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:15 am

The diagram was hand scrawled by yours truly. ;)

Just get a 250K blend pot.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Return to Paul's Technicalities