Pre-Metric Saddle Height Screw Size L2500 Saddle Lock

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Re: Pre-Metric Saddle Height Screw Size L2500 Saddle Lock

Postby 2cooltoolz » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:44 am

Hi again Ken.
I wanted you to know I wasn't ignoring your most recent response to me.

I don't quite have it all back together yet. As my favorite DIYer (Me!) says all-to-often, "Ain't nothin' ever easy."

G&L sent me some saddle screws. Thanks for your help with that! But as I feared, a previous owner had "boogered up" the threads in the saddle. I think the screws are 6-40 (NF); I took the screws G&L sent me to Lowes and they wouldn't fit the 32 TPI sizer, and Lowes doesn't deal with anything finer. So I just ordered a more precise sizer/gauge and a 6-40 tap and I'm still moving forward. I doubt that the screws are 6-48.

I considered just buying a new saddle (or set) but don't want to mix metric and standard. I'm not even certain the metric adjustable saddles would fit into the 2003 standard bridge.

Hope the thread clean-up works!!
2cooltoolz

Postby 2cooltoolz » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:22 pm

Ken Baker wrote:PM'd you.

Also, you might consider either stringing your bass thru-body or doing our bridge mod. Two screws aren't enough to hold the bridge down with any reliability. G&L recommends thru-body for those 5 stringers that allow it. The bridge mod allows you to use plain old 34" scale strings and you get a big bump in sustain.

Failing my PM, I recall that the height adjusters are 6-32 (diameter & pitch) by probably 1/2" to 5/8" length. I recall. And I'm an old fart with a mind like a sieve. Or a colander.

Ken...

Completed! Bought the pictured thread gauge and checked a couple existing screws. 8-32 X 3/8 long.
Got the thread tap. The threads weren't too bad; I didn't even need the handle on the tap to run it through, just felt a slightly rough area. Back together, full setup, lowered my action a bit (which is what started this project!), intonated. Yay!!

And you were right about the bridge mod. The bass just seems more alive! When I made the switch to 5s a couple years ago, I really had to focus on my muting. More focus now needed!! :mrgreen: It's all good, though!

Thanks a lot, Ken!!!

completed.jpg
completed.jpg (112.66 KiB) Viewed 422 times
2cooltoolz

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:35 pm

2cooltoolz wrote:Completed! Bought the pictured thread gauge and checked a couple existing screws. 8-32 X 3/8 long.
Got the thread tap. The threads weren't too bad; I didn't even need the handle on the tap to run it through, just felt a slightly rough area. Back together, full setup, lowered my action a bit (which is what started this project!), intonated. Yay!!

Most excellent!

And you were right about the bridge mod. The bass just seems more alive! When I made the switch to 5s a couple years ago, I really had to focus on my muting. More focus now needed!! :mrgreen: It's all good, though!

Even more most excellent! Yeah, muting takes on a kind of new meaning. It's like, "But this isn't an open note!" Hope you like it long term. And if you don't, well, it's easy to take apart.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Previous

Return to G&L Basses