K-Mod Help Needed- Bridge pickup is tapping the wrong coil

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

K-Mod Help Needed- Bridge pickup is tapping the wrong coil

Postby bscur » Fri May 29, 2020 2:50 pm

Hi,
I wired up a k mod switch in my L2000 and I want the outer coils tapped. The neck pickup is working correctly, but the bridge pickup is playing the forward coil in single mode and I want the bridge pickup playing the coil closest to the bridge. I actually have another L2000 with a factory K Mod switch so I've double checked my wiring against that as well as against this diagram from this website and it is exactly wired up according to the plans and the factory l2000. Any ideas on what is wrong? I tried just swapping the bridge yellow and white wires, but the result was the same. Thanks so much in advance for any advice.
Attachments
l2000k small.jpg
l2000k small.jpg (235.04 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
bscur

Re: K-Mod Help Needed- Bridge pickup is tapping the wrong co

Postby Ken Baker » Fri May 29, 2020 7:39 pm

How many leads from each pickup?

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby bscur » Fri May 29, 2020 7:54 pm

Hi,
Each pickup has a green, yellow, white, and black wire. I believe the bass is from 1997.
Thanks,
Brad
bscur

Postby Ken Baker » Fri May 29, 2020 9:17 pm

Snark mode = ON

I can just hear the people over at ******** telling you, "Just go over to BassesByLeo and grab the K mod diagram. It's all you'll need."

WRONG!

Snark mode = OFF (mostly)

Rant mode = ON

The K model basses originated in basses built for Kurosawa (hence the "K") and the Japanese market. They were available here as a no cost off-menu option, and I believe they are now listed on the Options sheet.

The L-2000/2500/ASAT K model basses are distinct from the non-K models. The pickups are different, the coil select switch is different, and the coil select switch is wired differently than the "Daveplaysbass" mod (which is what you should be doing).

People call what you're doing the K mod because they think it's just a modification to the standard circuit, and as you've found that name leads to a lot of confusion. People generally don't know that the circuits are actually different, nor do they dig in looking for the GOTCHA that's currently biting you. Good questions might be: "What is a K model bass?" "Other than the obvious, what makes a K model bass different from its non-K brethren?" And so on.

Rant mode = OFF

What you're doing is NOT a K mod, but a single coil mod. Look carefully at the diagram you posted above. See the 5-lead pickups? That isn't what you have. Daveplaysbass designed his circuits around the 4 lead pickups that most of us have. You're trying to use your 4-lead pickups in a circuit they're not designed for.

This is a circuit for my L-2500. It is WAY different than a stock circuit, but the coil select and pickup select switches are what you need.

Click the image for a PDF.

You'll need the coil select switch specified in the circuit comments (you may already have this). Disregard everything in the diagram except for the coil select switch, the pickup select switch, and their various inter-connections. The connections at the pickup select switch can be used as a reference to make sure you do it right.

Best of luck.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby bscur » Sat May 30, 2020 8:55 am

Thanks Ken,
That makes a lot of sense and I appreciate the direction. I did replace the switch already, but it looks like that wiring was just never going to work with what I had. I'll use your diagram and hopefully make it work. Again, I really appreciate your help. The single coil tone is perhaps the best tone on an already wildly versatile bass. It is surprising that it isn't more popular. Tracking down good info on it isn't easy, so, again, thanks so much for pointing me in the correct direction.
Brad
bscur

Return to The Experimental Bass Association