EMG Preamp

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

EMG Preamp

Postby orcabassist » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:58 pm

Hello,

I’m glad to be on the forum! I’m the proud owner of an L2K since 2018. I love the sound of the pickups, but I’m not the biggest fan of the preamp/tone controls. I’ve been thinking about a few different preamp options and the EMG BTC-Hz has piqued my interest. I had the non-Hz in a JB-2 that I put some EMGs in, I really like the selectable treble control. I was wanting to do the coil switching from this (I won’t be using the switch as the preamp has an active blend):

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2755

https://www.emgpickups.com/pub/media/Ma ... 0204rc.pdf

I really just have two questions:

My pickups have five leads, do I solder the blue and green wires to the same lug on the switch then ground them both?

The blend pot has solder pads for hot and ground for each pickup, would I run the green (or green and blue) from the switch to the ground pad of the blend pot?

I've been looking the past few days at work but haven't found anything very definitive and everyone here seems very knowledgeable and helpful.

Thanks!
orcabassist

Re: EMG Preamp

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:56 pm

orcabassist wrote:My pickups have five leads, do I solder the blue and green wires to the same lug on the switch then ground them both?

Those are "K" model pickups. Using the circuit you linked above, you would connect the green leads to the switch and ground. The blue leads connect to ground only

The blend pot has solder pads for hot and ground for each pickup, would I run the green (or green and blue) from the switch to the ground pad of the blend pot?

The green and blue leads can be connected to ground anywhere, but avoid ground through the preamp. Better to solder to the back of a pot.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby orcabassist » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:51 am

Thanks for the quick reply!

The preamp would leave me without any other pots; would the sleeve of the jack be a better choice?

If so, would I still need to run the green wire to the ground pad on the blend knob then to the jack, or could that be sent straight to the sleeve as well?

I appreciate the help, I’ve only followed diagrams in the past and am trying to learn as much about circuits as possible. Sometimes it feels like I’m overthinking the grounding, but I want to be sure.
orcabassist

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:33 am

orcabassist wrote:The preamp would leave me without any other pots; would the sleeve of the jack be a better choice?

The sleeve would be ideal.

If so, would I still need to run the green wire to the ground pad on the blend knob then to the jack, or could that be sent straight to the sleeve as well?

The green leads will connect to the coil select switch then go on to ground. The sleeve should be an excellent ground. If the ground pad of your blend pot requires a connection to ground, getting it at the sleeve would also be ideal.

I appreciate the help, I’ve only followed diagrams in the past and am trying to learn as much about circuits as possible. Sometimes it feels like I’m overthinking the grounding, but I want to be sure.

Grounding of the correct leads at the correct location is important.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby orcabassist » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:26 am

I got it!

Thank you again for the thorough the help. I'll probably order the preamp soon and I'll come back and post with updates and a clip for the curious.

- Nick
orcabassist

Return to The Experimental Bass Association