Tribute pickups and electronics

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Tribute pickups and electronics

Postby Youngspanion » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:30 am

I searched around this forum and on Talkbass and Google but I wasn't finding any information that I can believe as accurate..so....Do the Tribute JB & JB2 use different electronics than the US G&L JB basses?

thanks
Youngspanion

Re: Tribute pickups and electronics

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:11 am

While the component values were and are the same, they used to be totally different in sourcing - even the pickups. Now I'm not so sure. I'd need to get hands on a current US JB and measure the pickup length. It used to be that the US JB/JB-2 pickups were different lengths. If they're the same, then it's possible that they are the same sourcing throughout.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Youngspanion » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:48 am

Thanks Ken. I'm trying to learn if they sound different. I realize that the JB2 wouldn't count due to its different variables including the body shape and the neck bolt attachment but a direct comparison of Tribute JB to G&L US JB. Is there a noticeable tonal difference?
Youngspanion

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:53 pm

Youngspanion wrote:Thanks Ken. I'm trying to learn if they sound different. Is there a noticeable tonal difference?

They should sound very similar, with the basic tone dynamics of a Jazz Bass. Even between two samples of the same bass, no two instruments will sound exactly alike.

If you're talking about the sound of the basses in a live performance (concert, club, etc), you'd be very hard pressed to tell them apart. In the studio it's a different story because of the nature of studio work and the type of equipment in play.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby soulman969 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:40 am

Ken Baker wrote:
Youngspanion wrote:Thanks Ken. I'm trying to learn if they sound different. Is there a noticeable tonal difference?

They should sound very similar, with the basic tone dynamics of a Jazz Bass. Even between two samples of the same bass, no two instruments will sound exactly alike.

If you're talking about the sound of the basses in a live performance (concert, club, etc), you'd be very hard pressed to tell them apart. In the studio it's a different story because of the nature of studio work and the type of equipment in play.

Ken...

Two very good points Ken.

I've yet to find two otherwise identical instruments where there was not some differences between them either tonally or in playability. The use of CNC production seems to have minimized this but only to a degree. Some mass production instruments just sound more "alive" than others and some simply feel and play better. While the greater percentage simply fall into the acceptable range a few are dogs just as a few are a cut above. Separating those from the pack is the challenge which is why we actually need to play them to find out and if one is not acceptable don't buy it or exchange it for one that is acceptable.

On point two those of us who've gigged for years know the subtle differences we may hear at home or in studio setting won't typically make one iota of difference live if played in a louder band mix. We tend to EQ differently then and/or the sound tech handles that in FOH and all of that swallows up most any subtlety. After all that if the instrument still doesn't sound right to us maybe it simply to move on from it and use something else that does. There's a correct tool for every job.
soulman969

Return to G&L Basses