Not Much Talk About The Kiloton

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Re: Not Much Talk About The Kiloton

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:47 am

soulman969 wrote:Just adding a bit more to my Kiloton experience.

Too bad they didn't just replace the neck. You had a bass that was, in all other aspects, a keeper.

I've passed your experience on to G&L.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby soulman969 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:35 pm

Ken Baker wrote:
soulman969 wrote:Just adding a bit more to my Kiloton experience.

Too bad they didn't just replace the neck. You had a bass that was, in all other aspects, a keeper.

I've passed your experience on to G&L.

Ken...

It's also been discussed at length in a forum full of G&L owners I am also a charter member of. Plus even if they had replaced the neck with one whose fret board appeared to look more to me like Pau Ferro or Indian Laurel than the dark brown Brazilian Cherry of the original I may still have rejected it and swapped it for the Irish Ale or asked for a full refund and let my dealer work that out with G&L. Had the bass been inspected before shipment I believe this issue would have been caught.

I will also say that overall the ash body Irish Ale bass is in every way just acceptable as the original but one. Whose idea was it to have a red tort pickguard that looks like a brain hemorrhage on a bass with that finish? It doesn't even come close to complimenting what is a very nice transparent reddish finish. It actually clashes with it and I can't help but think that anyone who isn't a lover of red tort will want to replace it. There just one problem though.

G&L does not offer replacement pickguards for any Tribute model via their Store so they only way to obtain one unless you have a capability of producing your own is via a custom producer like Pickguardian at a cost equal to or greater than 10% of the cost of the bass itself. On top of that you will be without your own pickguard for a month or more so they can use it to create a template to fabricate a replacement.

Yes, you can send them a tracing but you take a risk that what you receive will not fit as well as the original and you the buyer are responsible because you created the tracing. If the fabricator has your own pickguard to work from the accuracy should be assured and if not then that's on the fabricator. I'm not willing to gamble on a paper tracing to fabricate something I'll be charged as much as $75 for.

I've actually created a separate thread about this issue Ken and I would actually appreciate it if you would pass along my frustration that G&L isn't willing to provide pickguards as a replacement part when they provide virtually every other part any Tribute bass might need for repair or upgrade. If G&L doesn't wish to produce these themselves fine but then at least arrange with Cortek who builds them to supply them with a selection of replacements in the colors already used on Tribute guitars and basses or contract with whoever supplies them to Cortek or some other Asian firm who produces them for other vendors.

If Fender can supply them for all of their models and Stratosphere has those as well for $10-$20 each it's inconceivable to me that G&L couldn't get them made for their current Tribute models at the very least and sell them profitably in their store once owners were aware they were available. I've sent a contact request to them about this asking why and I hope they're good enough to respond to a G&L owner 3 times over who along with 40 other have become very loyal to the brand.
soulman969

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:49 pm

Link to your other thread will be forwarded shortly.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby soulman969 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:23 am

Just wanted to add one more footnote to the saga surrounding my Kiloton. While I like the bass very much it does have one annoying problem that needs G&Ls attention.

I've written about wanting use a different pickguard than the "pepperoni red" tort one that comes stock. I can have a new one made for me locally which saves time and the expense of shipping my existing one to someone like Pickguardian and being without the bass for 4-5 weeks. Plus I'll have a template to use if I ever want to have others made.

But to do this I have to remove the pots and switch. To do that I need to remove the control knobs one of which won't budge even with a reasonable amount of tug with some padded pliers. This is also a problem on a brand new ASAT I just purchased where neither knob can be easily removed at all. I haven't even checked my L2500 for it yet. I'm curious to know whether or not others are experiencing this same problem and if you've gotten any response from G&L about a "fix".

Two friends of mine one of whom is a G&L dealer have had this same issue with US Kilotons and in both cases ended up pulling the shaft right out of the pot destroying it in the process. Both pickguards were also destroyed. IMHO this is a design/engineering flaw that G&L needs to correct. I'm told they are changing to solid shaft pots on US models but no word yet as to how they plan to deal with this same problem with Tributes both now and in the future. It really can't be ignored.
soulman969

Postby cc407 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:35 pm

New to the forum and new to bass, but experienced with guitar. I went out looking for a p/j bass and came home with a white Tribute Kiloton.
Obviously I liked it!
I played Fenders up to $700, Squires, Yamaha, Ibanez, and Cort.
The Tribute Kiloton felt and sounded best to me.
cc407

Postby soulman969 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:46 pm

cc407 wrote:New to the forum and new to bass, but experienced with guitar. I went out looking for a p/j bass and came home with a white Tribute Kiloton.
Obviously I liked it!
I played Fenders up to $700, Squires, Yamaha, Ibanez, and Cort.
The Tribute Kiloton felt and sounded best to me.

The Kilo is somewhat like a P/J on steroids. LOL Congrats on your new bass.

When I was bass shopping last spring I had it down to an SB-2 or a Kiloton but with the Tribby SB-2 lacking a tone pot the Kilo won out. Guess if I want tone control I'll need to go with a US made SB-2T with a little bigger neck as well.

I like my Kiloton. It's got a very unique voicing. Very mid focused.
soulman969

Postby fatherska » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:29 pm

soulman969 wrote:It's got a very unique voicing. Very mid focused.

Dude, IF you might prefer to the shift the voicing of a KIloton bass from "very mid-focused" to more deep-voiced, then consider adding the the .001 mfd loading capacitor that appears stock on L-1000 and L-2000 basses.

See Ken's reply to BassOn here: https://www.bassesbyleo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15529#p15529

I added the same loading capacitor to my L-1500 (different circuit; different instructions; same objective) and have since found deep, fat, warm tone more easily when wanted.

My L-1500 basically has bigger balls all the time since I got that capacitor soldered into the circuit. I can also still get all the mids needed when a particular tune or sound-of-room requires it.

If I ever get a Kiltoton bass, I will definitely get this circuit mod done on it. It's cheap and easy, plus I already know about the everlasting improvement it makes to the low end.
fatherska

Postby soulman969 » Sun May 10, 2020 7:40 am

I may try the loading cap. It's an easy enough mod to make.

But to update since my last post. In January I upgraded my primary bass rig with an Epifani 2x12 cab and a TC RH750 head. That head has an incredibly versatile 4 band tone stack so I've been able to nail and dial out the more nasal mids and round out the lows and low mids so the bass sounds great. I've also decided to go with the set of GHS Pressurewounds I have on it now. So I'm getting a nice full bottom end with lots of clarity and mid punch but without the more boxy nasal mids.

I was also able to use a knob puller to successfully remove that stuck in place volume knob without damaging the pot so I can now remove the pickguard for full access to the electronics and to create a template from it. However I'm still suggesting that G&L begin using solid shaft pots and knobs with grub screws on all of their instruments so that this isn't a problem buyers will face. Come on G&L let's make these things as field serviceable as possible even if you have to charge a few bucks more to do it.
soulman969

Postby cc407 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:46 am

Strange about the truss. I tried but it would’t engage. My dealer suceeded.
cc407

Previous

Return to G&L Basses