Saddle Lock Screw

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

Please; no links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of new instrument MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing for new instruments. Used pricing is generally fair game.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Saddle Lock Screw

Postby jfh4242 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:31 am

Hello!

I noticed that I don’t have a saddle lock screw on my G&L. Has any body compared the tone with and without the screw? Just wondering if it’s worth getting.

Thanks!

John
jfh4242
Global Mod

Re: Saddle Lock Screw

Postby jfh4242 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:33 am

I mean the bridge screw, the one at the bottom of the bridge.
jfh4242
Global Mod

Postby Ken Baker » Tue May 21, 2019 8:57 am

jfh4242 wrote:I mean the bridge screw, the one at the bottom of the bridge.

The what? Do you mean the screw that goes into the side of the bridge closest to the controls (for a righty)?

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby jfh4242 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:07 pm

Yes. Sorry for my vagueness...

John
jfh4242
Global Mod

Postby Ken Baker » Tue May 21, 2019 1:39 pm

Okay, I'll stick my neck out assuming it's the Saddle Lock screw you're talking about.

Without the screw you will lose some of the sonic coupling to the body. The bass will lose some of its "liveliness".

Without the screw you may see a reduction in sustain.

You would need to pay very close attention to the saddle height adjustment screws to make certain that, for each saddle, both screws are in strong and equal contact with the bridge plate and that the base of each saddle is parallel with the bridge plate. This to avoid odd noises. Actually, you need to do this WITH a Saddle Lock screw as well.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby jfh4242 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:37 pm

Hello Ken.

Yes we are talking about the same screw. No doubt.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I have a new G&L coming, hopefully it will have the screw. I'll try it with my other G&Ls and see if I hear a difference.

Have a great day!

John
jfh4242
Global Mod

Return to G&L Basses