L2000 Active/Passive Issue

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

L2000 Active/Passive Issue

Postby Darrenms » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:48 pm

I bought my L2000 just before Christmas and i'm loving it apart from the output difference between active and passive. I seem to get a huge level jump when going to active from passive. I watched a couple of youtube videos when i got the bass to help me work out the switching and i didn't notice those guys having the same issue. Has anyone else come across this?
Darrenms

Re: L2000 Active/Passive Issue

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:05 pm

Thanks for bring this to a new thread.

Darrenms wrote:I bought my L2000 just before Christmas and i'm loving it apart from the output difference between active and passive. I seem to get a huge level jump when going to active from passive. I watched a couple of youtube videos when i got the bass to help me work out the switching and i didn't notice those guys having the same issue. Has anyone else come across this?

There have been a few preamp updates over the years; I'm thinking four since 1993. Assuming that your circuit hasn't been breathed on, it might not be an overall gain increase you're hearing but a bump in treble. Most of the L Series preamps are like that; just a little overall gain with a notable treble bump. Our ears hear mid range better than lows & highs and a treble bump to a bass kinda hits the midrange of human hearing. I'm wondering if you're perceiving a treble gain increase as an overall gain increase because that's what your ears hear best (or easiest). I've had a few L Series basses pass through and never noticed a big gain increase flipping from passive to active. Treble increase? Yup. Overall gain? Not so much. Of course, I could be wrong.

One thing that might make a difference here is your amp. Just because the L-2000 has a passive mode doesn't mean you plug it into a non-padded amp input. Active basses, and G&L L Series basses in passive mode, should be plugged into an input that has a 10db or so pad. If you're plugging the L-2000 into an non-padded input, any difference between passive and active could be accentuated and a passive L-2000 can drive a lot of preamps into clipping. If this sounds like you, plug into a padded input.

Also, having come from playing a Jazz bass you're probably used to turning all the controls wide open. If so, try turning things down on the bass. Keep the volume at about 75 to 80 percent and maybe back off both bass & treble to about 80 percent. This will make for a bass that is more controllable and help to reduce clipping in your amp. If you find that you really like that wipe open sound, try backing off the preamp gain on your amp in addition to using the padded input.

If you ever pull the cover off the control cavity, take a nice clear pic and post it. 1024x768 is the best size for posting here.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: L2000 Active/Passive Issue

Postby Darrenms » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:03 pm

Ken Baker wrote:Thanks for bring this to a new thread.

There have been a few preamp updates over the years; I'm thinking four since 1993. Assuming that your circuit hasn't been breathed on, it might not be an overall gain increase you're hearing but a bump in treble. Most of the L Series preamps are like that; just a little overall gain with a notable treble bump. Our ears hear mid range better than lows & highs and a treble bump to a bass kinda hits the midrange of human hearing. I'm wondering if you're perceiving a treble gain increase as an overall gain increase because that's what your ears hear best (or easiest). I've had a few L Series basses pass through and never noticed a big gain increase flipping from passive to active. Treble increase? Yup. Overall gain? Not so much. Of course, I could be wrong.

One thing that might make a difference here is your amp. Just because the L-2000 has a passive mode doesn't mean you plug it into a non-padded amp input. Active basses, and G&L L Series basses in passive mode, should be plugged into an input that has a 10db or so pad. If you're plugging the L-2000 into an non-padded input, any difference between passive and active could be accentuated and a passive L-2000 can drive a lot of preamps into clipping. If this sounds like you, plug into a padded input.

Also, having come from playing a Jazz bass you're probably used to turning all the controls wide open. If so, try turning things down on the bass. Keep the volume at about 75 to 80 percent and maybe back off both bass & treble to about 80 percent. This will make for a bass that is more controllable and help to reduce clipping in your amp. If you find that you really like that wipe open sound, try backing off the preamp gain on your amp in addition to using the padded input.

If you ever pull the cover off the control cavity, take a nice clear pic and post it. 1024x768 is the best size for posting here.

Ken...

Thanks Ken, thats given me a bit to go on. I have a Labsystem VP600HP head and a GK 700RBII. The Lab doesn't have a pad, just a trim pot but the GK has a pad so ill give it a go with that. It does sound to me to be more than just a treble boost, its sounds more like an overall full range jump in output but i'll give it a go on the GK tonight at rehearsal with the pad on the input
Darrenms

Return to G&L Basses