Tribute L2500 tuners

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Tribute L2500 tuners

Postby dennisrook » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:22 am

The tuners on my Tribute appear to be quite loose in terms of retaining tuning not in terms of fixing to the head.
Typically, from one session to the next, the low B will go flat almost to Bb. Equally the other strings will go flat perhaps not by so much.

1. Is there any adjustment that can tighten this up ?
2. Anyone recommend any replacement tuners ? Would prefer not to have do any physical mods like drilling.
dennisrook

Re: Tribute L2500 tuners

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:01 am

That's unusual. I've run into several occasions where the string would not properly grip the peg and slip, but never where the tuner winds backward on its own. The type of geartrain and ratio tends to keep that from happening. These tuners are not adjustable per se, though you might be able to shim under the big gear to tighten it up. Such a shim would be very thin and made of metal or possibly plastic.

Questions:

Have the tuning ears actually turned backward?

Do you see this across multiple sets of strings?

Is this more pronounced immediately after a string change?

What kind of strings?

There have been a couple tuner designs used in the Tributes over the years. If your bass is fairly new the current tuners should be a drop-in. If older, you will probably have to drill for the backplates. Hipshots may be close if you can't get a set from G&L.

I would contact G&L as to availability of tuners for you. Contact G&L Repairs at 714-897-6766 x156 or send an email.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby dennisrook » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:45 am

Ken thank-you for the prompt reply.

1. The strings are the ones that were on the bass when I purchased it (new).
The strings have never been changed.

2. I've not really noticed if the ears have rolled backwards. Never checked that but will take a notice over the next few weeks
My normal process is to unpack the bass and tune up. Use it for a practice session and then pack away. (Practice sessions usually go on for 3 or so hours)
It appears to stay in tune during a practice session. My ears dont detect it being out of tune by the end of a practice session but thats not to say that it may have detuned by a small amount.
The time between practice sessions is usually around 2 weeks although the bass does get used between sessions in order to learn material for the next practice session.
Invariably it always requires retuning, more than I would expect to have to do.

3. From your reply it maybe down to string slippage on the post. I'll take a look at the windings.
dennisrook

Postby deltafred » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:07 pm

Tuners use a worm and gear because the gear cannot wind back without the worm being turned*. It is this property that makes the worm and gear so useful in tuners.

As long as you tune up to a note and not down to it then the worm and gear are locked in position until you turn the tuner again.

* Once the angle of the worm face is less than a critical angle (unless my mechanics lecturers were lying to me in college, which I very much doubt).
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby derick » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:05 pm

Tributes come with Gig Bags, correct? I would think that simply transporting a bass in a bag, however nice, would easily result in the tuning keys being touched and their position altered.
derick

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:52 pm

derick wrote:Tributes come with Gig Bags, correct? I would think that simply transporting a bass in a bag, however nice, would easily result in the tuning keys being touched and their position altered.

Tributes haven't shipped with a gigbag in several years.

dennisrook wrote:
3. From your reply it maybe down to string slippage on the post. I'll take a look at the windings.

How many turns on the post?

This sometimes happens and it could be with any string brand, but when it does it's seldom all of the strings. For example, the G on my El Toro slips on the post and all the others are solid. Have to reverse wind the first half turn.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Return to G&L Basses