L2000 neck issue

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

L2000 neck issue

Postby bassfinder » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:48 pm

Managed to get a US 2017 L2000 maple fret board neck,for the Cherry Burst US 2006 body. Having issues with the neck heel,not fitting in the body pocket. Awesome neck,just having to sand the heel of the neck down,to fit. It is so close to fitting though really tight. Found a luthier here local in the Dayton area,said he would check it out to see what we could do. Anyone had this experience? I have swapped necks,but not on G&L basses.
Attachments
IMG_20190112_135604260_2.jpg
IMG_20190112_135604260_2.jpg (215.39 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
G&L Club Member #554
bassfinder

Re: L2000 neck issue

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:10 pm

I would not consider this fitment issue unexpected. If the body was a few years newer you probably would have been able to drop it in.

If the luthier only trims the width of the heel where it fits the pocket you should be okay. He/she will need to leave length alone.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby bassfinder » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:13 am

Thanks,Ken,for your reply. Decided not to do anything to the neck. Found some info,on sanding or routing the neck pocket. I managed to get the neck pocket sanded on the edges,with some 100 grit sand paper,and managed to get it to fit. It is a real tight fit! Have a small gap,at where the heel of the neck,meets at the neck pocket,maybe 1/16"of an inch. Managed to get the screw holes to match up. The body is a 2006,and the neck is a 2017,so could be the difference in the way roundness,of the heel,of neck,and the body. I am okay with the small gap. Waiting for a pre cut,jazz style nut to show up in the mail,so I can put new strings, on it and see if it sets up okay.
G&L Club Member #554
bassfinder

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:12 pm

In 2006 they were still fine tuning their use of CNC for both the necks and bodies. These changes are incremental and I don't think things settled down for a few years, to the point that necks and bodies became nearly a mix & match deal. Even now, there is no solid guarantee that a neck can be exchanged as a drop in. Very close, mind you, but no guarantee. This is why, when a customer needs a neck replacement, the whole instrument has to go to the factory; even for a new instrument. This is so that G&L can make certain that everything lines up correctly and fits as it should.

Glad you got it to fit. How's the intonation working out?

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby bassfinder » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:57 am

Morning,and Thanks,Ken,for your reply. Was reading about sanding edges of the neck pocket. Glad I didn't do any sanding on the neck. Neck I was able to get,was brand new,and had all the holes drilled. Holes matched up fairly well also. It is a real tight fit for sure. Other than some minor finish chips,I am okay with the way I got it to fit. Due to me trying to fit the neck,before sanding the neck pocket,is the reason,I got the chips. Never thought it through I guess. But after I read about doing some sanding,managed to get it accomplished. As I was saying the holes on the neck,and body matched up,and the intonation is right on the money. Didn't have to adjust nothing. The pre-cut jazz width nut was just right. Not a guitar tech,but seems like everything is where it needs to be,and sting level set the way I prefer,fairly low. Woke up to 7"to 10" inches snow this morning in Dayton,Ohio area!

Thanks,
Wendell
G&L Club Member #554
bassfinder

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:18 am

Excellent!

And stay warm!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby bassfinder » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:37 am

Thank you,sure going to try! Lot of power outages,and ice on power lines. Been fortunate so far!

Take Care!
G&L Club Member #554
bassfinder

Return to G&L Basses