Making a Tribute L-2000 an L-2000 Plus

We are fortunate to count Paul Gagon as a member here, so it seemed natural to give him a home to stretch out in and relax a little. Maybe exercise the grey matter and present a little history of the guitar and bass (amps too!) from his perspective as one of the eminent designers of our time.

Got questions? Great! Good questions might be, "What are the EQ mappings for the M Series preamps?" Or, "What was the thought process behind the MJ-4?" Troubleshooting questions should remain in the regular forums (he reads those too). Finally, please be mindful of how I feel about tech questions via PM or email.

Moderator: Paul Gagon

Re: Making a Tribute L-2000 an L-2000 Plus

Postby b17krk » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:15 pm

Thank you both for your responses/suggestions - they've certainly given me something to think about and some avenues to explore. However with Christmas looming - and as The Wife has now banished me from using the dining room table - it may be a couple of weeks before I manage to get back onto this!

As soon as I do I will report back here with my findings.
b17krk

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:58 pm

Understood. SWMBO must not be crossed. We're with you, brother.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby b17krk » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:21 pm

Well SWMBO took the kids to spend a couple of days with the in-laws this weekend, so taking full advantage I swooped into the dining room and regained possession of the dining room table to finally get to the bottom of the the problem hum.

I plugged in a cable and did a continuity test between the sleeve of the jack and the bridge/strings which came back below 1 ohm as expected, so I did the same test again but between the jack and the pot backs which also came back below 1 ohm. When I tested between the jack and the threaded bushing on the pots and mini toggles it came back somewhat higher, which ties in with what Fred had said about the pot backs and bodies not making an electrical connection.

I soldered a wire from the back of each pot as suggested by Fred and voila! The hum has completely vanished.

I want to thank you guys for all the help/suggestions, and also for the awesome wiring diagram provided by Paul. I really am very pleased with the results.
b17krk

Postby Hawk600 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:14 am

This mod looks awesome, thank you, Paul, for sharing this!
I am thinking of trying it on my L2K Tribute.

I was wondering if this pot and switch combination would work for the "Kirk B" variation?

https://www.visionguitar.com/products/2 ... g-projects

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MMZECR8?ps ... ct_details

Thanks in advance!
Hawk600

Postby Hawk600 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:40 am

I also found this pot that might be a better fit...
https://www.guitarfetish.com/Push-Pull- ... p_646.html
Hawk600

Previous

Return to Paul's Technicalities