Tribute L2000 No Longer Works In Active Mode

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Tribute L2000 No Longer Works In Active Mode

Postby esfusion » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:26 pm

Hope there's a simple solution for this. My Tribute L2000 all of a sudden stopped working in active (still works OK passive). I tried replacing the battery, but no luck. What is most likely the issue and how do I fix it?
esfusion

Re: Tribute L2000 No Longer Works In Active Mode

Postby deltafred » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:48 pm

Quoted from a very similar post in 2014
Ken Baker wrote:Could be a problem with the preamp, possibly the chip. It might also be the failed connection in the cavity upstream of the preamp, a failed active/passive switch, or it could be the jack.

You can look for a bad connection by opening the cavity and carefully moving all the wires, looking for a loose solder connection or even a disconnected lead. If a cable plug seems inordinately loose in the jack, it might be time for a replacement. Checking the switch is tough with it in circuit, and it's sometimes easier to just replace it than test it because it's the same work.

Working with the preamp on a Tribute is tough because the chip is not socketed, meaning that replacement is difficult unless you're good with a small soldering iron and can de-solder.

I'd look for bad/failed connections first. The look at the active/passive switch, then the board.

Ken...
deltafred
Global Mod

Re: Tribute L2000 No Longer Works In Active Mode

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:33 pm

The usual disclaimer:

I don't have your bass in front of me on my bench. This will be an Internet WAG of the highest order.

To add to what deltafred posted:

1. Check the battery's connections. Red lead (+) goes to the board (or a terminal that feeds to the board). Black lead goes to the jack's RING connection. Make sure both leads are solidly connected.

2. Check the connections at the active/passive switch. Also check the lead that goes from the active/passive switch to the board.

3. Get some contact cleaner, like Deoxit, and shoot a squirt into the jack. Then work a plug in & out of the jack a few times.

4. Make sure the plugs on your cable are clean. Use Deoxit on a paper towel.

That ought to get you started. If you don't find a problem here, it's possible that the preamp has failed. You can either replace it or rebuild it. If your experience troubleshooting or fixing small electronics is limited, you could also take it to a tech familiar with G&L basses for an inspection and repair.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Return to G&L Basses