Hum on a new WunKay

OMG!!! Mode, that is. This is the forum for a true G&L monster, the L-1000. Simple, passive, and huge, the Wunkay speaks volumes for the G&L sound.

Wunkay Wuvers is hosted by Dukeplaysbass, a Los Angeles pro player and L-1000 expert.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: dukeplaysbass

Hum on a new WunKay

Postby mickey mao » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:03 am

Hi, All--

I picked up a new 'reissue' L-1000, to augment my vintage 1982 L-1000. On the new L-1000, I've found I get significant pickup hum when plugged into the amp. The hum is there if I touch nothing, but it goes DOWN if I touch the strings, and it goes UP if I touch the knobs, or especially, the toggle switch. This happens in parallel, single-coil, and OMG settings---the switch position does not really matter.

I've put an ohm meter on the bridge and the potentiometer housings, and there is continuity---so I believe the bridge ground and pot grounds are good.

Interestingly, there is no hum on my vintage L-1000. The old one is very quiet.

What is different about the new bass that causes hum? This is the one issue that is bugging me about the new L-1000. Everything else about it is great.

Thanks for any insight.
mickey mao

Re: Hum on a new WunKay

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:20 am

Standard disclaimer applies: I don't have your bass in front of me.

mickey mao wrote:I've put an ohm meter on the bridge and the potentiometer housings, and there is continuity---so I believe the bridge ground and pot grounds are good.

Try your ohmmeter again, this time between the strings and the body of the jack. Or plug in a cable and test between the strings and the ground of the cable. You want more than just a connection (continuity), you want a low resistance connection. My educated guess is that there is a disconnect in there someplace, possibly at the jack.

Interestingly, there is no hum on my vintage L-1000. The old one is very quiet.

The new bass should be as quiet as the old one. OMG mode might pick up a little noise, which is to be expected.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Return to Wunkay Wuvers