Lack of string mutes on G&l basses

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

Please; no links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of new instrument MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing for new instruments. Used pricing is generally fair game.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Lack of string mutes on G&l basses

Postby Jefflaserfist » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:58 pm

When Leo designed the early fender basses and the early music man stuff he had string mutes on them, why did he not do the same with G&l?
Jefflaserfist

Re: Lack of string mutes on G&l basses

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:03 pm

Jefflaserfist wrote:When Leo designed the early fender basses and the early music man stuff he had string mutes on them, why did he not do the same with G&l?

ALL of Leo's instruments are/were evolutionary. One design led to the next and so-on. The mutes and the foam on them would be a point of failure (movable or soft parts to break), so there's one good reason for elimination. Music that uses electric bass is also evolutionary. In the 50s and early 60s the thing to do with electric bass was to attempt to at least partially mimic the naturally muted sound of an upright bass on non-open notes. Hit the mid to late 60s and along comes music that has evolved to be louder and demand sustain, and the mutes were removed.

Yes, Music Man has revisited the old 'Rays that started out life at CLF Research on Fender Ave. It took months of the Knuckleheads (and maybe Guitar Center) of asking. With the Saddle Lock bridge, I think it unlikely that G&L will pursue that because it is a bridge designed for sustain. Besides, if you want to mute you can accomplish it with a piece of sponge stuffed under the strings and up against the saddles.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Jefflaserfist » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:02 am

Thanks ken, I was just wondering about the string mutes absence and didn’t know if Leo had just decided to move on from the idea when he had started designing the l2000. Ive just always enjoyed seeing the evolution of Leo’s instruments, and the thought process into why some things were kept, some removed and others added.
Jefflaserfist

Postby fatherska » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:04 pm

Ken's reply seems complete to me. Omitting mutes from the saddle-lock bridge design created:
A) freedom from the possible failure of moving parts and soft parts.
B) instruments to lead the industry for sustain.

When aiming to nail cover tunes, or when playing along with recordings of other bassists, I find that parts played on a G&L bass sometimes include too much sustain.

To accommodate this, I've had to develop the skill of muting some notes with my left or my right hand when playing parts where the original bassist simply didn't have such persistent sustain.

The saddle-lock bridge is a key reason why I consider any model of G&L bass as providing great value - including making the player a more skilled musician.
fatherska

Postby Nedmundo » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:15 pm

Due to a finger joint problem, I now play mostly with a pick, and I've discovered the G&L bridges are outstanding for palm-muting. This is especially helpful with the M-2500, which has unbelievable sustain, and it's one reason I've developed such a strong preference for G&L basses.
Nedmundo

Postby Glazenn » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:58 am

Sponge, foam, ... or this:

Fender AVRI basses are still supplied with a string mutes kit and a drilling template (un-mounted, so no unsightly screw holes in the body).
Glazenn

Return to G&L Basses