STC-2C-BO preamp?

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

STC-2C-BO preamp?

Postby STRZ » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:12 am

http://a.co/hz2dvRa
I am thinking of installing one of thes in my L-5000 (yes, I actually have an L-5000). Anyone have experience with one of these? I would mount it in place of the tone pot, and rig up an external battery compartment so I do not have to cut or drill any original parts. I have already made a custom pickguard and installed a cheap chinese 3 band, but it was a piece of poop and I went back to stock for now.
STRZ

Re: STC-2C-BO preamp?

Postby Eastcoasteddie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:49 pm

Sorry I didn't see this earlier...but I actually use this preamp in two of my Jazz basses.
I don't know if you got it yet, but it is a very nice, Low-output preamp. What I mean by low-output is that there is absolutely no volume or gain increase when it is engaged. It also does not color your tone when set flat. Switching from passive to active has exactly the same tone and volume. It isn't too powerful, but does what it is supposed to do.
If you set the bass and treble to 100%, it has a nice high-gain sound, but not annoyingly so.
I keep the treble dip-switch at 3.5k for passive pickups.
I one of my basses, I also installed a passive tone control in conjunction with the preamp; the other just uses the preamp.
I would definitely recommend it if all you're looking to add a just a little more A$$ to the bass for the top and bottom ends. Remember, it's just one little tiny circuit board, so it is t as powerful as most preamps on the market.
Eastcoasteddie

Postby STRZ » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:35 am

Thanks! I think I will save my money for now and save up to build another bass altogether...
STRZ

Postby bigtone23 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:52 am

I'm late to reply, but I have one of these in a Bass VI as a tone control replacement. It's great, highly reccomended. I will use another when I have another bass in need of a preamp-debating throwing one in my Ibanez RB920 to give it that active, Stingray zing. It's a great price, built well and sounds great. I also use the 3.5K setting for the treble center as it yields a response more like rolling off a tone control.
bigtone23

Return to The Experimental Bass Association