Equal volume on Series and Parallel selection L2Kx Tribute

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

Re: Equal volume on Series and Parallel selection L2Kx Tribu

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:28 pm

In this context, the hum canceling aspect is there regardless of how the coils are connected, so long as the coils are of equal impedance and are connected to the circuit. So, you can have parallel humbucking and you can have series humbucking. Either way, the coils are in rough proximity to each other, are wound opposite of each other, and are of equal impedance.

There's a good explanation of humbucking here.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Kostaboda » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:08 pm

is there a way to get a 4 way tele style switch to get all the pickup selections options with no hum into a blend and a preamp?
Kostaboda

Postby Kostaboda » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:12 pm

http://www.bassesbyleo.com/images/l2500 ... _outer.jpg

ken

will this be a good diagram to get what I am talking about? I would then have an ob3 preamp after it , would the blend still work passive?

I love mfds and want to use them on my custom build
Kostaboda

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:34 pm

Kostaboda wrote:http://www.bassesbyleo.com/images/l2500/modded/parallel_single_series_outer.jpg

ken

will this be a good diagram to get what I am talking about? I would then have an ob3 preamp after it , would the blend still work passive?

I love mfds and want to use them on my custom build

I have no clue about the Tele switch, so no comment there. The blend will work with this circuit, active or passive. You'd replace the pickup select switch with the blend pot - should be simple.

This circuit is designed to feed an OBP-3. You'd have the pickups, through the select switch (or a blend pot), then the active/passive switch. From there it's off to the preamp or the jack, depending on active/passive. The active/passive switch here is really cool. When in passive mode, the preamp is completely isolated from the signal path by shorting the preamp IN to ground and disconnecting the preamp OUT from the circuit.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Kostaboda » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:28 am

can you do each pickup with it's own three way switch for series/parallel/outer singles

then to blend

then to active/passive switch

then to obp3?
Kostaboda

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:42 am

Sure. Just replace the 4P-DT ON-ON-ON switch with two 2P-DT ON-ON-ON switches. This circuit does just that:

Obviously this is a complete passive circuit, which means you'd remove the OMG caps on the switches and the rest of the circuit. But it is for two separate coil switches.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Kostaboda » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:57 am

thanks ken
I am looking at doing something like that, but then into an obp3 like you have on one of your basses. I know it will be bright, and the wood I have coming on mine will be very dense wood neck through, so it will be very very bright. Does the obp3 cut allow that to be tamed when wanted? Does the treble cut really cut?
Kostaboda

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:24 am

Kostaboda wrote:thanks ken
I am looking at doing something like that, but then into an obp3 like you have on one of your basses. I know it will be bright, and the wood I have coming on mine will be very dense wood neck through, so it will be very very bright. Does the obp3 cut allow that to be tamed when wanted? Does the treble cut really cut?

The OBP-3 EQ is full-on cut/boost. Here are the details. The cut/boost is in the order of what we have in the M Series preamps. Treble is +/- 16db.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Ryan Hancock » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:31 pm

I did this mod. I found that the resistor made the treble lower in series.

I've found that I get a really dark tone with the treble tone rolled all the way off but it isn't as dark with parallel and series.

I can't tell the difference with the tone all the way up, only all the way down.
Ryan Hancock

Postby Ryan Hancock » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:15 am

Another thing that I've noticed is that the volume of the series pickup is significantly lower on passive mode
Ryan Hancock

PreviousNext

Return to The Experimental Bass Association