Obligatory picture thread

You mean there are other basses? :D This is where those discussions go.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Re: Obligatory picture thread

Postby countfrogula » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:56 pm

You all have very fine basses :) The G&L is my first bass of significance. I started with a Laguna starter pack two years ago and have had various cheapo basses since then. This is the only one I have left currently, an SX fretless model. For 120 bucks can't go wrong with this model, it's the cheapest bass I got and my favorite of the cheapos. I popped some flatwounds on it and it sounds surprisingly nice.

sxfretless.jpg
sxfretless.jpg (129.34 KiB) Viewed 19118 times
countfrogula

Postby fender3x » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:55 pm

countfrogula wrote:You all have very fine basses :) The G&L is my first bass of significance. I started with a Laguna starter pack two years ago and have had various cheapo basses since then. This is the only one I have left currently, an SX fretless model. For 120 bucks can't go wrong with this model, it's the cheapest bass I got and my favorite of the cheapos. I popped some flatwounds on it and it sounds surprisingly nice.

sxfretless.jpg

Yeah! I agree. I love my G&L, but I really like my SX. I have a black Jazz clone. I rewired it with V-P-T, put DiMarzio J's in it, with push-pull switches for the two tone option. But for the DiMarzio pole-pieces it looks stock, but it has great tone and is built like a tank. It also looks pretty cool. I have played it out and it's actually had some admirers. Bit of a thick neck, but a fast one. That's not much of a complaint for a bass that set me back $99. Nice to see a pic of one...will have to put mine up too...although your sunburst probably beats my poor man's Geddy Lee ;-)
fender3x

Postby tonymannara » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:53 pm

Does anyone else freaking LOVE the fact that we haven't had a non-G&L bass posted here in almost 8 months?

:twisted:

gLeek fever!!!
tonymannara

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:08 pm

This is kenbass13's bass.

spec:
basic : GnL tribute JB2
Pickup : all american fender standart
vol vol vol/tone (passive)
bridge + nut : by aldridge (all brass)
dryer : hipshot
string : r.cocco
steroid : eden wtdi

Moved from the G&L OPT by the admin because only the headstock appears to be G&L. --Ken
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby markob » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:30 pm

Rescued from ruin a few years ago. 1987 Fender Jazz Bass Special (Japan)

markob

Postby markob » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:35 pm

...and my #1 2011 Lull M4V (though my LB-100 sure getting playing time lately)

Sorry for the blatent over-posting. I just retrieved my photobucket library after I thought I lost it.
markob

Postby jordacr » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:57 pm

This is my Squier Matt Freeman signature Precision. Don't really know who he is but I loved the bass. It is lightweight, feels good, sounds good (especially with the TI Flats that are on it), looks good, and it was very inexpensive.
jordacr

Postby RocketMusic » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:46 am

Here's my Mike Lull P4 bass. I've owned it for about 3 months, and this was from my first gig that was worthy of me bringing out my big rig. Man, the bass sounds killer through that rig! :D

DR flats on the bass, and the cab is a Bergantino NV-610 that I modified with a tweeter & crossover several years ago.

RocketMusic

Postby Ricky Rioli » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:55 am

I've taken the "obligatory" in the thread title literally :D

My Yamaha TRBX604FM 

It seems that the 504s and 604s are identical except for the body's wood: the 504 is mahogany, and this is alder with a maple top. A lot of the TRBXes are in rather sombre colours; this is called "dark red burst" and since I still have to look at the instrument sat on its stand when I'm not playing it, the extra cost for such beauty seemed money well spent.

The top two knobs are vol and blend, and the little switch turns on the 3 band EQ. Or at least, it would if I hadn't taken the battery out. One of the three bottom knobs doubles as the passive tone control, and the other two are now inert. The blend is permanently on 100% neck, and the passive tone is never far from 0%. It's not news to me that versatility isn't a core part of my musical identity.

I won't bore you with how I came to choose it over, say, an Ibanez SR, but I will say that in the large soulless musical equipment shop, the kind of place where the instrument goes straight from the box to the shop floor, I also tried a Squier Jazz which was in an almost unplayable state, eg the first fret didn't actually work at all. Over the last 3485 years I've encountered far too many basses like that, which cumulatively gave me a fear that playing bass was simply too much for me, one which only got washed away when, relatively recently, I had a go on a properly set up short scale Ibanez.
Ricky Rioli

Postby bigtone23 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:35 pm

My bass choices really do come down to either something that was overseen by Leo or a derivative of Leo's instruments. My El Toro is posted in the G&L section already. :D
The Fenders: US Dlx P and J Vs, MIM Dlx Dimension V, 72 J
The Squiers: 51/Dirnt Partscision, '14 Bass VI
The 98 Carvin BB75 (that feels and sounds like a US Jazz V). Recently fdefretted.
The Ernie Ball Music Man US SUBS, both active:
The Peaveys (and an 84 Ibanez RB630 modded like a Peavey): 84 Foundation, 85 DynaBass, 87 Patriot, 82 T45 neck on a 87 Foundation body with 1979 T pickups, 94 Forum Plus, 91 Dynabass 5 string. There is no question that all of these salute their Fender root!
bigtone23

PreviousNext

Return to The Others