Reading the date of birth.

This is the main discussion and technical forum for G&L and Tribute by G&L basses. Please limit the discussion to G&L and Tribute by G&L. Simple questions regarding mods are okay, but really belong in the EBA or Paul's Technicalities.

Please; no links to other forums except as noted in the forum guidelines. Discussion of new instrument MSRP is okay, as is discussion of options pricing. However, there shall be no discussion of MAP or final negotiated pricing for new instruments. Used pricing is generally fair game.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Reading the date of birth.

Postby Hauge » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:30 am

Hi

I have some trouble reading the date of birth of my L-2500. In the neck pocket the date is printed (March 05 2003) but at the neck heel it's handwritten. Why don't they just print the heel date as well? I think I've seen some G&L's with the heel date printed.
Anyway, here's a picture. My guess would be "March/May ?? 2003". It's not that it is a big concern to me but I'd like to contribute to the Registry. :)

Thanks
Martin

Hauge

Re: Reading the date of birth.

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:59 am

I don't know that I'd worry about not having a neck date on your bass. The body date of 2003 tells me that the two were made essentially together, so any difference would be quite small.

The G&L Registry is here. It doesn't require both dates, or even any dates.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Hauge » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:59 am

Thank you, Ken.
But am I right that G&L's usually have both neck and pocket date printed?

Martin
Hauge

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:11 am

Hauge wrote:Thank you, Ken.
But am I right that G&L's usually have both neck and pocket date printed?

Martin

Glad to help, Martin.

The operative word is "usually"....

Nearly all US-built G&L instruments have both neck and body dates. Most times both are legible, but sometimes one or the other is smeared or overly light. Sometimes a date isn't applied to one or the other for pretty much any reason. It is also possible that a date that is stamped gets removed as part of final adjustments.

BTW - the stamp used is nothing fancy. It's just a plain old handheld stamp similar to this:

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Hauge » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:36 am

Thanks for the info.
Hauge

Return to G&L Basses