L2500: K-switch + inner/outer selector without drilling

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

L2500: K-switch + inner/outer selector without drilling

Postby wako » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:33 am

Hi all,

First, many thanks for all the reflexions and informations posted here wich help a lot with the understandind of how G&L basses are made, great job ! It already help me with a stripped trussrodnut trouble, maybe it will help a second time ? :)

Looking for some informations about classic K-wiring mods, i found that thread on talkbass introducing a RocketMusic work ( http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f192/new- ... ds-800019/ ). The single coiled fonctionality seems enjoying every one, and the inner/outer selector is a great option for those who, like me, can't imagine the inner/outer sound.

In that thread, i noticed what seems to a noobie like me, a pretty good idea:

"So, back to the topic of the L-2500 mod without drilling.
Would it be possible to implement that mod in the following way:

1) Separate the active/passive/treble boost switch function into two switches: one for active/passive and one for treble boost. I didn't really check the schematics carefully but got the impression that this is possible and that a DPDT for each of the switch functions should be sufficient.

2) Replace the Volume and Treble pots with push-pull switching pots (e.g. Alpha 250K Audio Pot w/ Push-Pull Switch), with the Volume pot making active/passive switching, and the Treble pot switching on/off treble boost.

3) Replace the stock active/passive/treble boost switch with the additional switch from the original mod.

The only potential problem I can envision with this mod is that the control cavity may not have enough space [...]"

I wonder if that solution was already tested/done by someone or if you think it is an "impossible mission" ?
wako

Re: L2500: K-switch + inner/outer selector without drilling

Postby wako » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:54 am

I didn't saw ken already said that:

Ken Baker wrote:I think what you're seeing, or not seeing, is that most folks leave the active/passive switch as-is when using the stock preamp. Or they yank the preamp entirely.

I don't know of this particular mod existing anywhere. It's no doubt do-able across two switches, but you'll be homebrewing the switch types and connections yourself. This, of course, will come with a clear understanding of what the factory switch does in its various positions.

Ken...

So, if it's no doubt do-able, i'll try to :ugeek: ... even if i'm not sure i've got "a clear understanding" of anything :lol:
wako

Postby deltafred » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:17 am

wako wrote:So, if it's no doubt do-able, i'll try to :ugeek: ... even if i'm not sure i've got "a clear understanding" of anything :lol:

The way I would approach it, if I were unsure, would be to draw out each separate selection on a different piece of paper to make sure I was not overlooking anything.

I would draw it as schematics rather than just representative diagrams so I could see the signal routing clearly, YMMV of course.

fred
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby wako » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:08 am

Thanks for the tips, fred.

I think i'll starting with toms_1983_l2000_4pin_jack_circuit.pdf simplifying with deleting all unwanted feactures (Pu selector...) and split the mod in two steps: a first draw for "active/passive switch to pot" mod, then a second draw "the inner/outer switch" mod.

it'll be fun to learn electronic with that project :mrgreen:
wako

Postby WakoBass » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:47 am

well, after some tries, i decided to change my way a little.

To be honnest, i had some buz, so i decided to wire the PU to the jack. classical process to test if PU are in good condition. I found the sound very interresting and that's why i changed my mind.

In fact, i'm just going to:

- put a DPTP (SC-outer/Serie/parallel) per PU
- put a stacked 500k volume pot
- keep the 1M REV LOG Bass pot
- And put a spécial 12 slot rotary switch named "Megatone" made by a french teamate on onlybass.
It's acting like a tonestyler. ( http://forum.onlybass.com/index.php?/to ... try1073575 )

It's going to be fun.

I'm now going to cleen and shield the cavity. i'll try to post a schematic soon.
WakoBass

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:28 pm

Do let us know how it goes.

The 500K volume pots will brighten up the tone a bit.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Return to The Experimental Bass Association