Equal volume on Series and Parallel selection L2Kx Tribute

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

Re: Equal volume on Series and Parallel selection L2Kx Tribu

Postby deltafred » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:25 am

Arretju wrote:Another question that pops up in my wicked mind :twisted: ;
I'm considering installing a S1-switch (to switch the pickups in series). Would this resistor equal the volumes between series and parallel or is 47K not right? Btw I have a L2500 Tribute.

Wicked - no just inquisitive.

If you put the pickups in series then you are back to having double the output voltage again (just as putting the coils in series does without the resistors). To get the levels back down you would need another resistor in series with the 2 pickups, what value this needs to be I have no idea. Best get a couple of croc/aligator leads and a few resistors and experiment.

I would like to hear what you think of the sound if you do try an S1 switch.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I have an evil mod, as yet not tried it due to the fact that I need 3 double pole 5 way miniature rotary switches to implement it and currently I only have one.

One switch for each each pickup with positions for

Series - full volume
Series - normalised
Parallel
Coil 1
Coil 2

Then a similar pickup selector switch with

Both pickups in series - without normailsation
Both pickups in series - with normalisation
Both pickups in parallel
Neck pickup solo
Bridge pickup solo

My idea is to set the active passive switch in the center position, insulate it and stow it in the cavity then use the hole for the bridge rotary selector switch.

This would give every possible permutation of coils and normalisation, but I have my doubts how many I would actually use as I usually find a sound I like and play that most of the night. I currently only use 2 settings, both pickups, Series normailsed for most of the songs, and outer single coils for a few. Very occasionally I will get very adventurous and go for a single coil on it's own depending on the room and the sound.

fred
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby Arretju » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:40 am

Now, that's a mod!

I have a L2500 tribute which has been defretted by a luthier. I was looking for a reasonably priced fretless 5string and ran into this thing..... One thing I miss is a balance-pot. So last week I bought a stacked balance-volume pot, which also happens to have a push-pull switch. So, here's the plan:

Remove the preamp (since I always use passive mode);
Swap the volume pot for the balance-volume;
Use the 3way switches (pickupselector and preamp) as series-single coil (outers)-parallel switches for each pickup;
Use the 2way switch (series-parallel) to switch between the 3way switches or inner single coils;
Use the push-pull switch as an S1 switch.

I probably won't be using every possible option either, but I don't think that's a big deal ;) It's just good fun!
Arretju

Postby deltafred » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:15 am

Arretju wrote:.. One thing I miss is a balance-pot. So last week I bought a stacked balance-volume pot, which also happens to have a push-pull switch. So, here's the plan:

Remove the preamp (since I always use passive mode);
Swap the volume pot for the balance-volume;
Use the 3way switches (pickupselector and preamp) as series-single coil (outers)-parallel switches for each pickup;
Use the 2way switch (series-parallel) to switch between the 3way switches or inner single coils;
Use the push-pull switch as an S1 switch.

I probably won't be using every possible option either, but I don't think that's a big deal ;) It's just good fun!

I like your thinking. I quite fancy a blend pot and am looking forward to when details of the new L-2000 (whatever it is called) emerge.

One thought that keeps nagging at me is to bring the pickup connections out to a (temporary) box with all the options I detailed above. Go through them all to see what I like the sound of. Then try a blend pot instead of the pickup selector switch, again see what positions I like the sound of. There will no doubt be a few that I prefer so then see how I can incorporate those into a simple switching scheme so they can be quickly selected when playing live. One day maybe!!!!

As you say it's all good fun, good luck with your mods
fred
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby Arretju » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:59 am

I'm kinda stuck with my wiringdiagram.....

I have two leads coming from the balancepot. Now I want to be able to switch these series or parallel (S1-switch). But how should I wire that dpdt-switch???
Arretju

Postby deltafred » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:09 am

Arretju wrote:I'm kinda stuck with my wiringdiagram.....

I have two leads coming from the balancepot. Now I want to be able to switch these series or parallel (S1-switch). But how should I wire that dpdt-switch???

I am pretty sure you cannpt use both a (single) blend pot and S1 switch. The blend pot has both pickups with their 'cold end' connected to ground. To be able to implement an S1 switch it is necessary to be able to remove one 'cold end' from earth and connect it to the 'hot end' of the other pickup.

To implement a blend pot and S1 switch I think you would need a double (stereo) blend pot so you can keep the 'cold ends' separate.

I may of course be wrong so if anyone has a schematic that does this I am always eager to learn.
fred
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby Arretju » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:45 am

Arretju

Postby deltafred » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:37 pm

Arretju

Ah I see.

What you need to do is separate the cold ends of the balance pots so you can then switch them as you would a humbucker coils, if you get my meaning.

One (call it A) can remain connected to ground but the other (call it B) needs isolating so that it can be switched between the hot end of the A (series) or earth (parallel). At the same time switching the hot end of A between the output (parallel) or the cold end of B (series - already covered).

Hope you followed all that.

fred
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby Arretju » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:01 pm

Okay Fred, I understand that, thanks!

Does this also mean that I have to connect the green wire from the pickup to this isolated cold, or can I leave it connected to ground?

Gr. Arjan
Arretju

Postby Arretju » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:06 pm

Arretju

Postby deltafred » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:40 pm

Arretju wrote:Does this diagram make sense?

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/GroteFoto-DZXOKQVC.jpg

Phew, my head hurts just looking at that, you'll have to give me while to study it and draw it as a schematic. Schematics I can understand, wiring always confuses me.

I will get back to you.

fred
deltafred
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to The Experimental Bass Association