Equal volume on Series and Parallel selection L2Kx Tribute

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

Equal volume on Series and Parallel selection L2Kx Tribute

Postby deltafred » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:46 pm

As promised here are the details of the evil mod to normalise/equalise the Series and Parallel volumes. It has been tried on an L-2500 Tribute, and the drawing is for the wiring on this and the L-2000 Tribute. It has not been tested yet on the L-2000 Tribute but the switch is wired the same.

Looking at Kens USA L-2000 wiring diagram it appears to be the same as the Tribute.

For single coil mod switches you will need to adapt the drawing l_2500_series_single_parallel_for_active.pdf that Ken has posted in the thread

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=112

You need to replace the 2 links on the RHS of the Series/Single/Parallel switch with 47K ohm 1/8th watt resistors. Some adjustment may be required of the resistor value for differing pickup characteristics. To increase the Series volume decrease the resistor, and to reduce the Series volume increase the resistor value.

fred

Edit.

Ooops, just had a good look at the diagram and realised that it needed a mod. The Yellow pickup lead to the opposite end of the 47K resistor as shown in the modified diagram.

GnL Tribute L2k5 S-P normalise.jpg
GnL Tribute L2k5 S-P normalise.jpg (68.04 KiB) Viewed 24415 times
Last edited by deltafred on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
deltafred
Global Mod

Re: Equal volume on Series and Parallel selection L2Kx Tribute

Postby TDR1138 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:26 am

Awesome info, Fred. I'm going to have to try that next time I get a chance to crack into my L-1500 (that's where the volume increase bugs me the most).
TDR1138

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:12 pm

Truly excellent information.

This needs to be a Sticky.

I do have a question. What effect does this have on the timbre of the instrument in series mode? Does it still have that characteristic bite & boom?

Thanks very much, Fred.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby deltafred » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:45 pm

The diagram in post #1 is for the Tribute models. Looking at Ken's USA diagram it would appear that the Yellow Neck Pickup wire is in the correct position so will not need to be moved. To apply the mod replace the 2 links with resistors.

This mod cannot be used when OMG capacitors are fitted.

Fred
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby deltafred » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:09 pm

Ken Baker wrote:
I do have a question. What effect does this have on the timbre of the instrument in series mode? Does it still have that characteristic bite & boom?

Ken...

It certainly does not seem to affect the tone when played normally, I spent quite some time going back and forth to see if there was a drop in treble due to any capacitive loading of the preamp. I could not detect any and (later) looking at the G&L schematic it does not present any capacitive load so should not suffer any loss of treble (as the pre Ernie Ball MusicMan EQ did). I deliberately did not check the schematic first as it may have biased my perception.

Aftermarket preamps may be different but I would have thought that they should be pretty well behaved so should not be a problem.

I am pretty sure the bite and boom is still there when you dig in, it sounds pretty similar to what it did before. Plenty of bass and aggressive middle without too much top in series. Switch to parallel and it looses some bass and gains quite a bit of top and so clarity.

I have just had another testing session, this time specifically for boom and bite and all seems well both active and passive.

Overall I am happy with it, I would have removed it if I were in any doubt.

I have had this circuit running on my project bass (MM clone - with treble compensation) for some months and played it to a few minor gigs and lots of rehearsals and have been very happy with it.
mgward is using it on his passive Yamaha Jazz copy and he reported that the treble was fine on that without compensation, the last thing an amplifier would do is present a capacitive load.

What I should have done was record a before and after. Isn't hindsight wonderful. If I get chance I will do some recording with and without.

fred
deltafred
Global Mod

Re: Equal volume on Series and Parallel selection L2Kx Tribu

Postby Arretju » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:50 pm

Hi-uh Fred ;-)

Can I also use these resistors when using a series-single coil-parallel-switch? If so, where do I place them?

Arjan
Arretju

Postby deltafred » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:11 pm

Arretju wrote:Hi-uh Fred ;-)

Can I also use these resistors when using a series-single coil-parallel-switch? If so, where do I place them?

Arjan

Arjan

You certainly can but I will have to take the back off my L-2500 and look to see just what I did.

My memory is not what it was so give me a few minutes/hours/days to draw it up and I will post it.

fred
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby deltafred » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:21 pm

Arjan

I have modified a copy of Ken's 'special' circuit from my computer hard drive to save me redrawing it (for the life of me I can never find it on the BBL site). This gives single coil 'outers'.

The resistors are 47K for an L-2500, for an L-2000 they may need to be decreased to raise the series output level, or increased to lower it.

Hope this all makes sense.

fred
Attachments
L2x00 SC mod.jpg
L2x00 SC mod.jpg (40.91 KiB) Viewed 24118 times
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby Arretju » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:01 am

Great, thanks a lot Fred!
Arretju

Postby Arretju » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:50 am

Another question that pops up in my wicked mind :twisted: ;
I'm considering installing a S1-switch (to switch the pickups in series). Would this resistor equal the volumes between series and parallel or is 47K not right? Btw I have a L2500 Tribute.
Arretju

Next

Return to The Experimental Bass Association