Neck shims with 6 bolts

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

Neck shims with 6 bolts

Postby Bemo9 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:14 pm

Yeah another new guy with a bunch of questions, I appreciate everyone's help and patience. I'm assuming this forum section is appropriate for set up questions. I'm satisfied for the moment on by new Tribby's set up but may look at exploring a neck shim down the road (love that post by Paul with the measurements from Ed Friedland's bass!). I've done shims on plenty of 4 bolt bass and guitar necks and am pretty comfortable with that. Anything I need to know with shims on a 6 bolt neck? I would imagine it's pretty much the same and that you have to resist the urge to tighten the bolts to gorilla levels? Thanks
Bemo9

Re: Neck shims with 6 bolts

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:21 pm

Bemo9 wrote:Anything I need to know with shims on a 6 bolt neck? I would imagine it's pretty much the same and that you have to resist the urge to tighten the bolts to gorilla levels? Thanks

That really is about it. The screws at the shim and nearest the body edge can be pretty tight; just avoid gorilla levels. The screws in the middle should be snug, as gorilla tight here could induce a skijump.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: Neck shims with 6 bolts

Postby Bemo9 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:01 am

Thanks Ken, you confirmed exactly what I thought. Particularly the chance of inducing ski jump with the middle bolts. Thanks bunches! Now back to the wiring.....
Bemo9

Return to The Experimental Bass Association