K vs non-K clarification needed

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

K vs non-K clarification needed

Postby Bemo9 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:09 pm

Greetings! I've recently purchased a L2k Tribby and am in the process of finishing some mods. Last mod (for now) is to add the coil split option. I purchased the pre-requisite switch and have been going over the various schematics. This tribby has 5 wires per pickup which would tell me the K style wiring would be the way to go. However a minor twist is that the wires from each pickup are white, yellow, green, black, and.... black. Yes 2 black wires. I'm assuming they are both grounds and the way the wiring goes for the rest of the wiring definitely look like that's the case. Before I proceed further just checking the collective intelligence here to make sure. And a shout out to everyone who's contributed to the knowledge here. And a special thanks to Paul's great drawings, wish I could draw beyond stick figures and his circuit diagrams are just works of art. I'm particularly thankful for his drawing of the switch wiring.
Bemo9

Re: K vs non-K clarification needed

Postby Bemo9 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:10 am

So, in inspecting the wiring a little closer, it seems that one black wire (I've arbitrarily called it black #1), is 16 guage and grounds to the pots while the other black wire (aka black #2) is 18 gauge and is soldered to the series/parallel switch. Really wish Cort hadn't messed with the color coding.
Bemo9

Postby bassfisher887 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:09 am

If its like my L2k5 Tribute, the larger wire is attached to a grounding lug screwed to the shielding paint in the pickup cavity. The smaller wire is one of the leads from the white/black pickup coil.
bassfisher887

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:05 pm

K vs non-K

K stands for Kurosawa - the name of the Japanese company that first ordered an L-2000 with single coil capability.

If you pull the cover and look at the wiring of the non-K pickup, you'll find a short little green jumper that goes from one end of the green/yellow coil to one corner of the back plate. From the opposite corner of the back plate is a long green lead that runs off to the cavity.

If you pull the cover and look at the wiring of the K pickup, you'll find a long green jumper that goes from one end of the green/yellow coil to the cavity. From one corner of the back plate is a long blue lead that runs off to the cavity.

G&L's K circuit is a little different than the circuit we use for single coil with non-K pickups. The Daveplaysbass circuits that we use can actually use either pickup.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Bemo9 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:07 pm

Well thanks to everyone and the various schematics I managed to get this to work. I do think eventually I'll get back in the control cavity and clean up some of that stock wiring. Wow do they use a lot. So far I'm liking the different sounds. I do think the single coil on the bridge solo'd gives you the most mid-focused sound; especially with some playing with the tone controls. And yes the thicker gauge black wires were grounds to the shielded cavities, but each one secured under the pickups themselves. Again thanks to everyone who contribute to this great resource!
Bemo9

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:52 pm

Bemo9 wrote:I do think eventually I'll get back in the control cavity and clean up some of that stock wiring. Wow do they use a lot.

Yeah, they do use a lot.

https://www.bassesbyleo.com/paul/k_wiri ... ch_pcb.jpg

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Return to The Experimental Bass Association