Frankenbass???

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

Frankenbass???

Postby Ras Keita » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:15 pm

Don't know if this is the correct place to find the info I'm seeking ut here goes...I have a pre-lawsuit SB-1 maple neck I've searched hi and low over the years for a body, no such luck.
I've got a friend that builds fantastic basses, he made a body but as great a builder as he is the bridge is too close to the butt and isn't totally flush due to the curve. I saw a Tribute SB-2 body for sale in the G&L Clearance Bodies section. I'm wondering if I could use that body with my neck. I'm wondering about pocket dimensions depth, height & length, etc. also the Tribute has four bolt mine is three. I hoe all this is making sense, any and all assistance and information would be greatly appreciated.
Ras Keita

Re: Frankenbass???

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:53 am

Ras Keita wrote:I saw a Tribute SB-2 body for sale in the G&L Clearance Bodies section. I'm wondering if I could use that body with my neck. I'm wondering about pocket dimensions depth, height & length, etc. also the Tribute has four bolt mine is three. I hoe all this is making sense, any and all assistance and information would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have dimensions on the current body pocket or neck heel. Sorry.

There will likely be some size difference; how much is unknown but probably within the realm of sanding pocket or heel to size.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Ras Keita » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:03 pm

Thanks for the information I appreciate it, one follow up question if you don't mind. Would the body dimensions be correct as far distance from neck heel to pick ups and bridge.
Ras Keita

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:15 pm

Ras Keita wrote:Thanks for the information I appreciate it, one follow up question if you don't mind. Would the body dimensions be correct as far distance from neck heel to pick ups and bridge.

Meaning, is the scale distance (34") correct...

It should be close, but there may be some difference. How much, if any difference? I don't know.

When your neck was made, all roughing out was done with pin routers. Current instruments, both USA and Tributes, are CNC roughed. The CNC scripts should be based up the original body shape & size, so it should be close.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Return to The Experimental Bass Association