Kiloton Hum

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

Re: Kiloton Hum

Postby travatron4000 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:53 am

I guess it could be environmental but seem odd that it only effects the one coil, when in series. I don't have any other humbuckers with series option and exposed poles to test... I guess if I'm inducing noise on the output side coil in series the other one can't hum cancel. Does that sound right? Anyway, I can test next time I'm in a different environment. See if it persists.
travatron4000

Postby deltafred » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:40 am

travatron4000 wrote:I guess it could be environmental but seem odd that it only effects the one coil, when in series. I don't have any other humbuckers with series option and exposed poles to test... I guess if I'm inducing noise on the output side coil in series the other one can't hum cancel. Does that sound right? Anyway, I can test next time I'm in a different environment. See if it persists.

that sounds right to me.

My old P bass does the same, if I touch a pole piece on the E and A pup it squeals like a stuck pig.

I discovered this on a gig in about 1971 so put a piece of electrical tape over the pole pieces so I didn't catch them while playing. 50 years later it is still there. I suspect that if I swapped the wires round so that the E and A pup was nearest the ground it would swap the noise to the D and G pup, which I am much less likely to touch.

Not pretty but it got the job done.
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby travatron4000 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:22 pm

Just tested with a little headphone amp. Doesn't happen. No ground on the other side I suppose. Not worried about touching the poles when playing. Otherwise could go Joe Dart with the Gaff tape. Just gladcnn I didn't mess up my "nice" bass. Tone select works as desired.

The D string buzz I think was a bridge spring. I ploinked them and it went away. That MFD has some sensitivity.

I also cut a brass rod for the saddle lock. Not that it probably matters much but figured I'd be better than the plastic one.
travatron4000

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:18 pm

travatron4000 wrote:Just tested with a little headphone amp. Doesn't happen. No ground on the other side I suppose. Not worried about touching the poles when playing. Otherwise could go Joe Dart with the Gaff tape. Just gladcnn I didn't mess up my "nice" bass. Tone select works as desired.

Ah! Now, joy of joys, you get to check earth ground in your house!

That MFD has some sensitivity.

Yes. Powerful critters, those MFDs.

I also cut a brass rod for the saddle lock. Not that it probably matters much but figured I'd be better than the plastic one.

Try it, but you might be less than happy if the screw loosens a little due to vibration. That nylon rod gives a little for a reason.

Glad you found your solution.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby travatron4000 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:31 pm

The wiring in this house is a whole other thing. I once spent 2 hrs figuring out that the garage is protected by a GFCI outlet in the bathroom on the other end of the house... Was built in 92 too...

I'm hoping the brass is soft enough to hold the screw. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks again guys!
travatron4000

Previous

Return to The Experimental Bass Association