Mod circuit for SB-2

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

Re: Mod circuit for SB-2

Postby rok51 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:29 am

Hi Ken. Just came across this and thought it might be relevant to the question that I posted in my "SB-2 will this work?"thread. Is the lower schematic the one that you would recommend for concentric volumes and master volume on the Tribute SB-2?

Should I try to locate a A250K/A250K concentric pot? The only one I have found is the Alpha concentric (other than the modded CTS pots that outrageously priced on eBay). Would this work, or is it too long?

I really like the stock setup for my tonal needs, it just is problematic for me when I need to adjust my volume and not adjust the interplay between the bridge and neck pickups.

As always, I trust your judgement and welcome any suggestions/parts you might recommend.

Kim
rok51

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:03 am

rok51 wrote:Hi Ken. Just came across this and thought it might be relevant to the question that I posted in my "SB-2 will this work?"thread. Is the lower schematic the one that you would recommend for concentric volumes and master volume on the Tribute SB-2?

I had to revisit these circuits...

Yes, this would work. Just be sure to solder ground points at the pot cans and NOT the solder lugs.

Should I try to locate a A250K/A250K concentric pot? The only one I have found is the Alpha concentric (other than the modded CTS pots that outrageously priced on eBay). Would this work, or is it too long?

Take a look here. The 500KΩ pots will add some brightness to your sound, so unless that's what you want use the 250KΩ.

I really like the stock setup for my tonal needs, it just is problematic for me when I need to adjust my volume and not adjust the interplay between the bridge and neck pickups.

I added a tone pot to my old SB-2, thinking I would like it. It turned out to be useful (to me) to reduce the zing of new strings and that's about it. After I standardized on Infeld Superalloy strings, which sound broken in when new, the need for the pot went away. Leo really did know what he was doing with just volume controls.

I never did try a master volume, and that would have more utility for me.

As always, I trust your judgement and welcome any suggestions/parts you might recommend.

Thanks! Just keep a wary eye on me. You never know where I might go.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby rok51 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:42 am

Thanks, Ken (and Deltafred)!

Kim
rok51

Postby LoveThatBass » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:08 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333141186026?m ... media=COPY

250k/250k Alpha Concentric potwoth solid shaft
LoveThatBass

Postby rok51 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:00 pm

Well, with the schematic in this thread for master volume and the forum's help, I was able to successfully rewire my Tribute SB-2 to have a stacked volume 250KA/250KA potentiometer with the top being the neck pickup and the bottom being the bridge pickup. The old neck pot became the master volume. I was hoping that I would be able to set the desired blending between the two pickups to achieve the tonal balance that I was able to attain with the stock volume/volume setup and then be able to adjust the overall volume without interfering with the preset pickup balancing. I did not add the treble bleed capacitor.

It worked! I would prefer a lower profile knob set, but there's a limit to how low the top knob will go due to the 8mm lower shaft, so that may be out of reach.

Thanks all!

Kim
Attachments
IMG_3042.jpeg
IMG_3042.jpeg (146.09 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
IMG_3041.jpeg
IMG_3041.jpeg (163.75 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
rok51

Postby LoveThatBass » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:26 pm

Glad it worked well for you. Here are some low profile Concentrics among others
https://www.guitarpartsfactory.us/index ... y&path=528
LoveThatBass

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:56 pm

If you guys have a few minutes, and are willing, please post your parts resources in this thread.

Thanks!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Previous

Return to The Experimental Bass Association