L2000 Mod complete!

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

Re: L2000 Mod complete!

Postby Karl Kaminski » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:05 am

duff2 wrote:I have had my L2K Tribute bass for a few months now. Its amazing how much of a bang for the buck these basses are. Excellent playability and stunning quality considering the ~$650 US street price. That being said, I never really cared for the sound of the humbucking pickups, especially in series mode. I much prefer the clarity and open-ess of single coil pickups, so I decided to mod my L2K bass from Dual Humbucker Parallel-Series to Humbucker Parallel-Single coil (Neck outside, bridge inside). I chose this mod as opposed to the 'dual outside' and 'dual inside' single coils as it was very straightforward to perform. All that was required was a repositioning of the two green wires as shown in the diagram below. Before this mod, I hardly ever picked this bass up. Now I can't put it down! This mod sounds AMAZING!!!!! The only drawback now is that my Jazz bass won't be getting nearly as much attention as before! LOL

Cheers,
Duff2

Thanks so much Duff2 (and by default Ken and Deltafred) for posting the switch wiring diagram!
after doing the (Para/Single/Series w/OMG) mod a few years back I realized over time I never really used the 'series' setting and wondered about a 'retro mod' to just Para/Single (instead of the OEM Para/Series) setup and BOOM —there was your post with the wiring. Im planning on using both "north/upper" single, but going to experiment with both "outer" for a similar spacing of my Fender J.

I d like to still use the 'empty' switch position (Para/Single/EMPTY) for a kill switch. I *think I'd need to shunt the hot of both pickups to ground. or would I need to kill after the pre? —like at the jack hot and ground. Could anyone offer a proper way of shunting the 3way (on/on/on) to avoid a 'POP'?

Really helpful thanks again for everybody's expertise and effort in filling the forum with great info.
Karl Kaminski

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:42 am

Karl Kaminski wrote:Im planning on using both "north/upper" single, but going to experiment with both "outer" for a similar spacing of my Fender J.

Something to plan for: On an L Series, if you want to use both of the neck-side or bridge-side coils, you will be hum additive. Outer coils (normal for single coil use) or inner coils will be hum canceling so long as their levels are the same.

I d like to still use the 'empty' switch position (Para/Single/EMPTY) for a kill switch. I *think I'd need to shunt the hot of both pickups to ground. or would I need to kill after the pre? —like at the jack hot and ground. Could anyone offer a proper way of shunting the 3way (on/on/on) to avoid a 'POP'?

Find a way to short the entire signal to ground. Entire, as in after the volume control.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Karl Kaminski » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:41 pm

AH right! Thanks Ken! (you're like my shop teacher saying "don't forget the blade guard!" LOL)

Attempt #2: I racked my brain trying to get the 'kill switch' into the empty position. then I thought I got it...But I got lots of RF with the preamp engage—even worse with the treble boost. Thought to check all the grounds— all solder joints were good. Then I realized without a 'series' wiring, I didn't need to switch the black.
l2k_wiring_PsK v1.0.jpg
l2k_wiring_PsK v1.0.jpg (197.17 KiB) Viewed 1962 times

Attempt #3: I ran all pickup grounds to the Vol ground. (and sent the opposite inside coils to ground—in hope it would silence any RF in single coil mode) .. it did not, so I added rev1.3 "RF filter" to Pre input (see Update 2 below)
l2k_wiring_PsK +RF(v1.3).jpg
l2k_wiring_PsK +RF(v1.3).jpg (227.41 KiB) Viewed 1909 times

Now up and running Parallel/Single/Kill. Really love all the options the L2500 can offer up
Thanks agin everybody!
Last edited by Karl Kaminski on Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karl Kaminski

Postby Karl Kaminski » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:11 pm

Update: Im still getting 'light' RF in single mode and/or using Preamp with treble boost— but it is only present with everything on '10' (which I never use, so its still there but noise floor is pretty low). I don't notice it thru my amp live but at my DAW its easily found. (Especially in NYC on the 25th floor—as I rotate the bass towards the windows. LOL). My guess is, just like my Fender its the nature of using single coils.

IM open to any and all suggestions if anyone spots an error in my execution or a better way to further isolate the remaining RF— Please let me know :D

[Note: I previously copper'd the pickup and control acvities. Continuity and resistance reading are still good.]
Karl Kaminski

Postby Karl Kaminski » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:05 pm

UPDATE 2:

I just added the 'RF filter' from the rev 1.3 to my rev1.1 Pre (C7 220p, and R12 1KΩ) to the input of the Pre and the RF I was getting is now substantially reduced.

rev1.1 Pre with RF filter (1.3) on input.jpg
rev1.1 Pre with RF filter (1.3) on input.jpg (46.4 KiB) Viewed 1914 times

maybe its all in my head, but it feels like the Pre isn't 'as hot' is it use to be, its very controllable now and sweep in the treble / bass knobs are very defined. ???
Karl Kaminski

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:41 am

Karl Kaminski wrote:[Note: I previously copper'd the pickup and control acvities. Continuity and resistance reading are still good.]

Did you also shield the back side of the cavity cover?

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Karl Kaminski » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:03 pm

HI Ken,
yup did the p'up cavities, control cavity, and cover. (even shielded the 'port holes' for the p'up wires —out of sheer nerdy abandon lol)

Im still getting slight RF when at the DAW if I face the bass at my monitor/desk—turning the bass 45º off axis eliminates all RF. And the bass is for-all-purposes silent thru my amps and on gigs. Im really excited to try different Rvalues in the Pre (R7 and R10) to adjust the response curves. (as shown in PaulsThread: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2294)

Curious, do you think I may have missed something? should it be 'silent' now with these mods? Please let me know if anything jumps out.
Karl Kaminski

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:58 pm

Karl Kaminski wrote:Im still getting slight RF when at the DAW if I face the bass at my monitor/desk—turning the bass 45º off axis eliminates all RF. And the bass is for-all-purposes silent thru my amps and on gigs.

This is almost exactly what I dealt with on my USA L-2500. Being an IT guy, I got out my tone/trace tool and waved the probe around my office and found a very noisy brass table lamp. LOTS of buzzing and crap all over the frequency spectrum. I couldn't find any shorts or opens, so I replaced its cord with a grounded cable using a 3-prong plug. Noise gone. And there's a lot of computer gear in here.

Curious, do you think I may have missed something? should it be 'silent' now with these mods? Please let me know if anything jumps out.

Probably not on the bass. Now it's time to work on your environment.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Karl Kaminski » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:09 pm

dig it. yeah I ve got so much CE gear in my studio apt, let alone this old bldg. Thanks for insights!
Karl Kaminski

Previous

Return to The Experimental Bass Association