Modify G&L L1000 by adding Jazz pickup?

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

Modify G&L L1000 by adding Jazz pickup?

Postby carbon64 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:14 pm

Hi all,
Take an early 1980s G&L L1000. Add a jazz pickup at the bridge. Rewire so that the knobs are now VVT (like a conventional passive jazz). How would losing the EQ on the MFD affect the utility of that MFD?

Anyone done this?

Thanks!
PS This is my first post and first day here. I currently have a Kiloton from 2020.
carbon64

Re: Modify G&L L1000 by adding Jazz pickup?

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:13 pm

Moved to EBA.

The instrument should work with a bone-stock Jazz-style VVT circuit; the pots would be 250KA and the treble cut cap .047µF. How well it would work would be the question.

The Tri Tone circuit is totally passive, so losing the bass control takes away your bass cut capability. This means you'll be adjusting bass at the amp or rolling in less treble cut at the bass to compensate. You won't change the utility of the MFD but you'll change the character of the bass. It's likely that it will become a bit noisy with the Jazz pickup in because of loss of hum/noise canceling. If your L-1000 has single coil capability, don't expect the MFD to hum cancel with the Jazz because they aren't even close to matching impedance.

Lots of people (elsewhere) have done this but I've never heard how they liked it long term.

If you can find one nearby, try playing an SB-2. It has a humbucking split neck pickup and a single coil bridge pickup - both MFD. It's a very simple bass; not even a tone control - just two volumes. It's fairly quiet and more flexible than it lets on. The neck does the heavy lifting and the bridge adds flavor much like a tone control.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby carbon64 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:05 am

Thank you, Ken, for your detailed reply. I am awaiting a bass that already had this modification done long ago. So, I guess it will be a question of a) hum and b) harnessing the bass output at the amp, especially if using the bass boost switch position.

If others have experience with a similar configuration, please chime in.
Thanks!
carbon64

Postby brianvel » Sat May 08, 2021 3:19 pm

I dunno, man. I'd say don't do it. I did this to my bass and I regret doing it.
brianvel

Return to The Experimental Bass Association