G&L Kiloton Wiring?

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

Re: G&L Kiloton Wiring?

Postby jaroh24 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:07 pm

Ken Baker wrote:A couple things:

1. As noted in the circuit description of this drawing or this drawing one of which your snippet of my drawing came from, there is no special orientation for the DPDT ON-ON-ON switches. You can use the information from this data sheet to verify.

2. Looking again at your snippet of my drawing: You removed the OMG cap, which is perfectly fine. However, you replace the OMG cap with a lead running to ground. If you leave that grounded lead in place, you'll only get partial functionality from the pickup. If you, or whoever else grabbed that image, had thoroughly read the page that my drawing came from, you/they would realize that this caution is documented (second bulleted item under "Please note the following:").

Ken...

1. Ok I see now. I read that there was no special orientation, but I was trying to figure out why. I think I understand now.

2. I thought I did read that page, but I must have mixed up that bullet point in my head and goofed up. Thanks for catching that
jaroh24

Re: G&L Kiloton Wiring?

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:27 pm

jaroh24 wrote:1. Ok I see now. I read that there was no special orientation, but I was trying to figure out why. I think I understand now.

If you were to draw out the internal shunt positions for the three toggle positions, you'd see that turning the switch 180 degrees doesn't change the wiring, at least in our implementations. There are some industrial scenarios where the keyway on the shank is used to locate the switch a certain way, and in those scenarios orientation may count from a standardization perspective. Even better....

2. I thought I did read that page, but I must have mixed up that bullet point in my head and goofed up. Thanks for catching that

You'd have found out eventually.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Previous

Return to The Experimental Bass Association