G&L Kiloton Wiring?

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

G&L Kiloton Wiring?

Postby jaroh24 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:43 pm

Hi all. First time poster on here....

I wanted to wire up a spare MFD pickup I have into an old pbass that's lying around. The goal is to have the same control layout as the Kiloton bass - volume, tone, and series/parallel/single coil switch. Seeing as my pickup does not have "k-wiring", I realized I would have to use the Daveplaysbass wiring diagram instead to get all three coil switching modes. Does the attached circuit look correct?

I decided to add the 1nF loading cap so that the resonant peak isn't too extreme.

Please let me know if this looks correct!
Attachments
kiloton2 (1).png
kiloton2 (1).png (78.46 KiB) Viewed 8842 times
kiloton (1).png
kiloton (1).png (150.53 KiB) Viewed 8842 times
jaroh24

Re: G&L Kiloton Wiring?

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:01 pm

Looks like it should work. Or not. See this.

That loading cap should be 0.001µf 50v, NOT 1µF. Also bear in mind that the Kiloton circuit does not use that cap. Be sure to use 250KA pots for both volume and tone.

Edited for correction.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby jaroh24 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:49 am

Ken Baker wrote:Looks like it should work.

That loading cap should be 0.1µf 50v, NOT 1µF. Also bear in mind that the Kiloton circuit does not use that cap. Be sure to use 250KA pots for both volume and tone.

Ken...

Ah ok. Thanks for posting the Kiloton circuit. It looks like the kiloton does not have the loading cap OR the 200pF cap on the volume knob. The 200pF cap on the volume knob just acts as a treble bleed (prevention) circuit, right? I wonder why they removed that cap and also put the volume pot before the tone pot. Won't both of these things make the volume and treble knobs very interactive (changing the volume knob would change the treble response without touching the treble knob)? Whereas the circuit I posted would make it much less interactive...
jaroh24

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:55 am

jaroh24 wrote:Ah ok. Thanks for posting the Kiloton circuit. It looks like the kiloton does not have the loading cap OR the 200pF cap on the volume knob. The 200pF cap on the volume knob just acts as a treble bleed (prevention) circuit, right?

You can use the 200pf cap or not. Its job is to help preserve higher frequencies at low output levels.

I wonder why they removed that cap and also put the volume pot before the tone pot. Won't both of these things make the volume and treble knobs very interactive (changing the volume knob would change the treble response without touching the treble knob)? Whereas the circuit I posted would make it much less interactive...

I doubt that it matters much either way. Most people who remove the 200pf cap note little to no difference. As to location in the circuit of the controls, there will always be at least a little bit of interaction and this will vary from instrument to instrument. You have the luxury of trying both, if you want.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby jaroh24 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:28 pm

Ken Baker wrote:Looks like it should work.

That loading cap should be 0.1µf 50v, NOT 1µF. Also bear in mind that the Kiloton circuit does not use that cap. Be sure to use 250KA pots for both volume and tone.

Ken...

Also, shouldn't the loading cap be a 0.001uF cap? As shown here on this L1000 circuit... Besides this 0.001u loading cap, the bass knob, and OMG mode, the L1000 and kiloton circuits are near identical.
Attachments
l1000_wiring_diagram.jpg
l1000_wiring_diagram.jpg (109.75 KiB) Viewed 8809 times
l1000_block_diagram.jpg
l1000_block_diagram.jpg (148.21 KiB) Viewed 8809 times
jaroh24

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:44 pm

jaroh24 wrote:Also, shouldn't the loading cap be a 0.001uF cap? As shown here on this L1000 circuit... Besides this 0.001u loading cap, the bass knob, and OMG mode, the L1000 and kiloton circuits are near identical.

You're right! Should be .001µf 50v. I had OMG cap, which is .1µf, in my head for some reason.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby deltafred » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:25 am

Why don't you bring the pickup wires out to some form of breadboard and try all the different permutations (Kiloton, L1000, with and with out OMG, treble bypass, and pickup loading caps) and see which you prefer.
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby jaroh24 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:10 am

deltafred wrote:Why don't you bring the pickup wires out to some form of breadboard and try all the different permutations (Kiloton, L1000, with and with out OMG, treble bypass, and pickup loading caps) and see which you prefer.

That's the plan. I just wanted to confirm my circuits are correct before I order some parts.
jaroh24

Postby jaroh24 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:28 am

By the way, can someone confirm that there is no special orientation for these switches? They are the ones that Daveplaysbass recommends,

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=Ckn1132-ND

I've attached the schematic of the switch along with the diagram for wiring up series/parallel/outer single coil. It seems like it will matter which way the switch is oriented for the single coil mode... A bit confused here
Attachments
switch.png
switch.png (89.4 KiB) Viewed 8779 times
jaroh24

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:34 am

A couple things:

1. As noted in the circuit description of this drawing or this drawing one of which your snippet of my drawing came from, there is no special orientation for the DPDT ON-ON-ON switches. You can use the information from this data sheet to verify.

2. Looking again at your snippet of my drawing: You removed the OMG cap, which is perfectly fine. However, you replace the OMG cap with a lead running to ground. If you leave that grounded lead in place, you'll only get partial functionality from the pickup. If you, or whoever else grabbed that image, had thoroughly read the page that my drawing came from, you/they would realize that this caution is documented (second bulleted item under "Please note the following:").

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Experimental Bass Association