help creating Mr. Gagons Megaton

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

help creating Mr. Gagons Megaton

Postby grouse789 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:57 pm

hey gang, long time lurker, recent poster. I have here an L series MFD 4 string pickup (the old version without the BLUE wire). I plan on routing it into a P bass body in an approximate "Kiloton" position. The P pickup will be gone. Ok, here come my questions!

1. With the MFD non blue wire pickup can I create the "Megaton" bass that Paul posted about? viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2816&start=0

Thank you all in advance! Im super excited to try it.
grouse789

Re: help creating Mr. Gagons Megaton

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:51 pm

grouse789 wrote:1. With the MFD non blue wire pickup can I create the "Megaton" bass that Paul posted about? viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2816&start=0

As to your question: yes you can use a non-K pickup. Connect as shown in Paul's diagram, ignoring the blue lead.

Note that the "Megaton" is a two pickup bass. If what you're after is a single pickup bass, you'll need to "remove" the neck pickup from the circuit. This will mean removing the pickup and the pickup select switch, then adjusting the wiring as needed.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby grouse789 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:09 am

Thank you Ken, I look forward to this project!
grouse789

Postby grouse789 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:49 am

Hey Ken, So I have a little more time this week. To do this properly, I am guessing I need an 'on/off/on" DPDT switch for the f. coil/ series HB/ r. coil selector?
Also, I am liking the idea of two pickups as designed by P. Gagon. However, I would prefer a stacked volume knob instead of a 3 way switch. Would a CTS 500K+500K be best?
Thank you!
grouse789

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:07 am

The switches are both ON-ON-ON. The big one is a C&K 7411SYZQE. The small one is a C&K 7211SYZQE.

As to to pots: You'll do better to use 250K pots, as the 500K will brighten things up some. I know a 250K stacked audio taper pot will be tough to source, so you may not be able to stack.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Return to The Experimental Bass Association