Help needed with switch top

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

Help needed with switch top

Postby bscur » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi,
I have destroyed a couple of these now and could use some help. The switches arrive with the straight shaft that has a channel in the side, like in the pic, but the diagram of the same switch shows it should have a threaded top. How do you get the cover off the top to reveal the threaded portion? I tried a wrench, but the whole top just rips off.
7401MD9CGE.jpg
7401MD9CGE.jpg (101.43 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
S-ToggleActuator.jpg
S-ToggleActuator.jpg (96.22 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
bscur

Re: Help needed with switch top

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:26 pm

I'll venture a guess that the unthreaded shank you see and are trying to remove is not removable; that it should have been threaded at the manufacturer. Nothing else really makes sense to me, as that smooth shank would only be useful if the switch was mounted in some highly specialized manner.

My recommendation would be to source the appropriate C&K or ALCO switches. They are not necessarily inexpensive, but they are high quality devices that should last for years.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby bscur » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:11 pm

Hi Ken,
These are pictures of the part C&K Part 7411SYZQE that you recommended in my post viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2812. I can't find where to buy the on-on-on switch with a threaded top. Here is where this part takes me: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... -ND/259893
People seem to do this mod a lot, but I can't source the correct switch.
Thanks,
Brad
bscur

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:50 pm

Looking at the Digikey page you linked and the C&K data sheet, I'd say that Digikey has something messed up and have been shipping the wrong part. I dropped the part number into Mouser's search and got the right part.

Sorry you're having trouble.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Return to The Experimental Bass Association