L2500 / L200 PU: Removing half of the ferrules?

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

L2500 / L200 PU: Removing half of the ferrules?

Postby wneff » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:32 am

Hi, I have a L2500 that I like a lot except that the pickups are a bit more middy than I would prefer - if the resonance would be shifted upwards it would be a lot cleaner and sound better for example for slapping. So, thinking about this I thought: Well, resonance frequency of the pickup changes with how much ferromagnetic material is in the system - maybe if I remove some of the ferrules it changes L enough to make a difference.
I have the K-mod so I remove most of the inner ferrules of the PU (removed 9, could not get out the one under the D on front PU, just left it), and in my head it sounds pretty much like I wanted it. PUs are down as much as possible and I also raised the remaining ferrules by 1 1/2 turns out - I really really like it. Is it just in my head? Who else has tried that?
I want to fill the hole with a nylon screw, what is the thread size?
wneff

Re: L2500 / L200 PU: Removing half of the ferrules?

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:05 pm

Direct answer to your question: Take one of the removed slugs to a hardware store and match.

Opinion:

I don't think I would have come at this preference from the angle you used. By removing the adjusting slugs, you'll affect the way that the magnetic field is projected upward into the strings. Basically, instead of a nicely focused field it would be spread out. This will affect the power of the pickup and, obviously, your ability to adjust it.

My recommendation would be to lift the .001µF (102K) cap from the bass pot and/or adjust EQ at your amplifier. The .001µF cap is a global swamping cap that reduces the treble output of the pickup, regardless of EQ settings.

You might read through some of the technical discussions in Paul's Technicalities for a more in-depth view.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby wneff » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:53 pm

Thanks - put the ferrules back in and the cap out. Yes, like it. I use the bass with Elexir strings - sounds great.
wneff

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:40 am

Great!

Glad it works for you.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Return to The Experimental Bass Association