Tribute L2K Single Coil Query...

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

Re: Tribute L2K Single Coil Query...

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:48 pm

b17krk wrote:The wife blames that sort of thing on having kids but I'm not so sure I can get away with that excuse! :lol:

I dunno. My kids turned my brain to jelly years ago. Gave me white hair too!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Paul Gagon » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:14 pm

I now have been seriously bitten by the modification bug. I think I’m going to take my Tribute L-2000 and do the mod I’m talking about here. I’ll replace the one coil configuration switch that controls both pickups and put in two smaller coil configuration switches so each pickup will have its own. That way each pickup can be in Series Humbucking, Single Coil Front or Single Coil Rear. I think having the bridge pickup in series humbucking and the neck pickup in either single coil front or single coil rear could sound pretty cool.

Time to break out the drill and make another hole for the second coil configuration switch. Also, I think I’ll take this opportunity to clean up the lead dressing inside the control cavity. man....... I swear it looks like someone ate a pound of hook up wire and threw up inside the cavity. OK guys, I’m going in.

Paul
Paul Gagon
Sensei

Postby GeorgeB » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:37 am

Paul, you might find this interesting, no holes to be drilled, completely reversible mod.
I named it the "full weapons mod, for the advanced pilot" as an homage to Leo's faible for mil/aircraft terms. And it's still under development and fine tuning, I have slightly different versions in my L2K and L2500.

Basic concept looks like this :
L2K_FullWeaponsWiring.gif
L2K_FullWeaponsWiring.gif (21.1 KiB) Viewed 173 times

There is one 3-way-switch (former PU select) that selects either north coils, south coils or both (parallel), and two 2-way toggles (4PDT) that select from which PUs the north and south coils are taken. This gives a "main coil(s)" signal bus which can be any of the four coils alone (single coil) or any parallel humbucking combination of two coils (bridge, neck, inners, outers).

The remaining unselected coils ara also routed the same way by the same switches to form an "aux coil(s)" bus that can be blended into the total signal in "OMG"-series fashion or in a sort-of parallel mode ("contour" Pot)... but it doesn't stop there as there are two modifier switches (push/pull pots) that allow for a lot more combinations (including some series modes) and blend functions.

Not every setting of the switches and pots generates meaningful sounds but most do. The bass control is missing (typically never used it anyway) but the contour and treble pots can give still a lot of variations including a bass cut when the volume isn't dimed while treble is at 100% (a standard circuit of mine that also have in all my guitars except the ones with PTB tone controls).

I really gotta make a table where all the sound possibilites are listed... and start a proper thread for this.
GeorgeB

Postby deltafred » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:36 pm

A while back I had the crazy idea, unfortunately it is still just an idea.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=440&start=10#p5887
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby Paul Gagon » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:05 pm

GeorgeB wrote:Paul, you might find this interesting, no holes to be drilled, completely reversible mod.
I named it the "full weapons mod, for the advanced pilot" as an homage to Leo's faible for mil/aircraft terms. And it's still under development and fine tuning, I have slightly different versions in my L2K and L2500.
There is one 3-way-switch (former PU select) that selects either north coils, south coils or both (parallel), and two 2-way toggles (4PDT) that select from which PUs the north and south coils are taken. This gives a "main coil(s)" signal bus which can be any of the four coils alone (single coil) or any parallel humbucking combination of two coils (bridge, neck, inners, outers).

The remaining unselected coils ara also routed the same way by the same switches to form an "aux coil(s)" bus that can be blended into the total signal in "OMG"-series fashion or in a sort-of parallel mode ("contour" Pot)... but it doesn't stop there as there are two modifier switches (push/pull pots) that allow for a lot more combinations (including some series modes) and blend functions.

Not every setting of the switches and pots generates meaningful sounds but most do. The bass control is missing (typically never used it anyway) but the contour and treble pots can give still a lot of variations including a bass cut when the volume isn't dimed while treble is at 100% (a standard circuit of mine that also have in all my guitars except the ones with PTB tone controls).

I really gotta make a table where all the sound possibilites are listed... and start a proper thread for this.

Wow! This is so cool. You really should start a thread and walk us through the development. I love it.

I already drilled the extra hole in my bass and added the extra switch. It actually ended up looking cooler than I thought it would. I’m cleaning up the wiring and next I’m gonna see what mods I want to do to the preamp. I’m hoping to get some good photos and post something soon.

Paul
Paul Gagon
Sensei

Postby Paul Gagon » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:12 pm

deltafred wrote:A while back I had the crazy idea, unfortunately it is still just an idea.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=440&start=10#p5887

Thanks for the link. You know......I don’t think there are any crazy ideas when it comes to experimenting with different bass wiring. I just consider these unexplored sounds. I’ve made Basses with multiple rotary switches and it’s amazing what sounds you can discover. I say, grab the soldering iron and dig in.

Paul
Paul Gagon
Sensei

Postby b17krk » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:25 pm

Paul Gagon wrote:I already drilled the extra hole in my bass and added the extra switch. It actually ended up looking cooler than I thought it would. I’m cleaning up the wiring and next I’m gonna see what mods I want to do to the preamp. I’m hoping to get some good photos and post something soon.

Paul

Hehehe...you certainly don't hang around when you get an idea...I like that a lot. On the flip side it took me a few months of "should I, shouldn't I" before I even attempted to do anything to my L2K! :lol:

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the results of this experiment, and in particular to see where you added the extra switch with space in the cavity being as tight as it is.
Kirk

Proud Tribute L-2000 owner
b17krk

Postby Paul Gagon » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:46 pm

Well, as promised, here are the modifications I made to my Tribute L-2000. I’m naming this modification the L-2000 Plus. Not overly creative but marketing never was my strong point. Basically this modification involves removing the single 4PDT (series/parallel) coil configuration switch (located above the treble control) and replacing it with two DPDT (on/on/on) switches. This allows me to configure each pickup independently as a series humbucking, single coil front, or single coil rear. This makes for some pretty great sounding options. My favorite one so far is both pickups on with the Bridge pickup in series humbucking and the Neck pickup in single coil front. Both pickups on with the inner or outer coils activated sounds really nice too. OK, time for some pictures. To start off, here is a body shot of the L-2000 before modification.

And now a body shot after the modification of drilling another hole and adding a switch.

The two smaller switches really do not take up that much additional room inside the cavity over the single larger switch. The switch on the left is in the original hole. I drilled another ¼” hole just to the right of it to install the second switch.

Here’s a control cavity picture before I began the modification. Notice how much wire is in this bad boy. I have done several lead dressings in these cavities to clean things up and have removed as much as 8 feet of excess wire. I mean seriously, check this out.

After the modifications, and a bit of house cleaning, here’s what the cavity looks like now.

This is what I like to see. Nice and tidy. Much easier to trouble shoot a problem when you can see all the wires. Speaking of wires, here’s the wiring diagram of the L-2000 Plus. This is a pretty easy modification to do. I should mention that along with the pickup coil configuration modification I also changed the bass roll off capacitor from .0022uf to .0033uf. This was so I could retain a bit more of the lower frequencies when turning the bass control pot down.

Well, there you have it, an easy modification to turn an L-2000 into an L-2000 Plus. Later on I might go into the preamp and do some noodling around but for now I’m just having fun with the pickup coil options.

Paul
Paul Gagon
Sensei

Previous

Return to The Experimental Bass Association