Standard L-1000 circuit with 5 wire MFD

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

Standard L-1000 circuit with 5 wire MFD

Postby Rob W » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:12 pm

I'm in the process of having one of my LB-100s converted to a custom L-1000. BTW, I had had put this project into motion before I knew they were going to reissue the CLF Wunkay and I had already sourced all of the parts and had quite gotten used to the idea of my custom creation when I heard about the reissue. I decided to go ahead anyway because I think mine will look even better - candy apple red, quartersawn maple neck and board, white MFD and a new custom pearl white pickguard. It's going to wind up looking a little like a Kiloton, but with the pickup in the L-1000 sweet spot.

Anyway, my luthier has started the conversion - new pickup cavity has been super carefully routed. He did the routing and started on the new pickguard but hasn't wired up the circuit yet. He's about to go on vacation for a week so I have to wait until he's back before he finishes up the circuit. I provided him with all of the parts, all sourced from G&L and a couple of the L-1000 circuit diagrams that you all have floating around here. I thought it would be super clear with what I provided him, but then he posted a work-in progress shot on Instagram when I noticed that I unknowingly provided him with one of the new fangled 5 conductor MFDs!

So how should he connect the conductors on this circuit? I'm guessing that the black, white and yellow go to their usual spots in the circuit, but where do the green and blue wires go now? In the 4 conductor MFD, the green goes to the casing on the volume pot.
Attachments
pre conv sm.jpg
pre conv sm.jpg (38.48 KiB) Viewed 457 times
Rob W

Re: Standard L-1000 circuit with 5 wire MFD

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:36 pm

Rob W wrote:So how should he connect the conductors on this circuit? I'm guessing that the black, white and yellow go to their usual spots in the circuit, but where do the green and blue wires go now? In the 4 conductor MFD, the green goes to the casing on the volume pot.

You can use the Kiloton circuit for the switching or just ground the green and blue and use whatever you were going to use.

Looks like a fun project. Please keep us in the loop over in the EBA.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Rob W » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:47 am

Thanks!

I definitely want the standard L-1000 circuit with the Passive Treble Bass System and OMG mode. So if we connect both the green and the blue to the ground, just follow this pic for the other colors?

Just for my own info (I'm sure my luthier knows exactly what he's doing) - this "daisy chain" connecting the backs of the pots (and indicated in this diagram) is not something you see on many of the pictures floating around, but I feel like I've seen it only on the instruments with the black wrinkle powdercoat plates (and I assume also later models with no control plates at all). Is this a conductivity issue with the black plates? Am I correct in noticing that the daisy chain of the ground on the pots is omitted on the models with the straight chrome control plates? So since my circuit is going to be mounted on a plastic pickguard, we definitely need to include this daisy chain on the backs of the pots?
Attachments
L1000 black hardware sm.jpg
L1000 black hardware sm.jpg (210.95 KiB) Viewed 442 times
L1000 wiring.jpg
L1000 wiring.jpg (75.55 KiB) Viewed 442 times
Rob W

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:59 am

Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Rob W » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:28 am

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Yeah, I did add the missing white lead to that drawing when I handed it it to my luthier, so he knows about it. The white from the pickup goes directly to the switch, to that same post that has the white marked (the one going to the treble pot). I gave him about 5 or 6 closeup pics of real circuits plus all of the available schematics. I just wasn't prepared for the 5 wire version of the pickup.

So white, yellow and black come from the pickup to the switch as indicated, and then connect both the green and blue to the ground?
Rob W

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:01 am

Rob W wrote:So white, yellow and black come from the pickup to the switch as indicated, and then connect both the green and blue to the ground?

Yup. Treat it the same as you would a 4-lead L Series pickup, except that it has an extra lead - the blue one. And ground the blue lead.

Edit for a little more clarity.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Rob W » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:27 am

Thanks!
Rob W

Postby derick » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:24 am

Rob W wrote:Thanks!

Just for my own info (I'm sure my luthier knows exactly what he's doing) - this "daisy chain" connecting the backs of the pots (and indicated in this diagram) is not something you see on many of the pictures floating around, but I feel like I've seen it only on the instruments with the black wrinkle powdercoat plates (and I assume also later models with no control plates at all).

Hi Rob,

That photo that you posted is of the cavity on my bass, I special ordered in 1981 through Leo himself. Body Date 11-18-81, so it is pre-krinkle plates. I'm sure that you can see it has the smooth powder coat bridge and mismatched chrome plates.

I have several other Wunkays from this period and none of them have the grounding "daisy-chain." although I haven't noticed any greater or lesser noise on this one vs. any of the others. It seems like a good idea, though.
derick

Return to The Experimental Bass Association