Passive L2000 mod

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

Passive L2000 mod

Postby TimD » Thu May 03, 2018 2:39 pm

I want to wire up my L2000 like a dual kiloton with jazz wiring. Meaning, series/parallel/outer coil switch for each pickup. Then wired to V/V/T like a jazz. I’m gonna use the 3rd switch as a kill switch. All passive. No preamp. I’ve seen some wiring diagrams of the kiloton, but don’t know which wires to switch for the other pickup. Could somebody throw the correct diagram up here? And a link to the proper switches if possible. Has anybody done this and what did they think of the results? Thanks guys.
TimD

Re: Passive L2000 mod

Postby Ken Baker » Thu May 03, 2018 4:51 pm

I don't have a V-V-T circuit, but how about this:

Click the image for a PDF.

This gives you coil control over the individual pickups; series/SC outers)/parallel. OMG caps are shown but can be removed. It also retains the G&L Tri-Tone EQ (passive volume/treble/bass). See the circuit description for other details. If you want, the pickup select switch can be replaced with a smart blend pot but you'll need to enlarge the hole in the body to allow for the larger pot shank. Your kill switch (SPST mini toggle) can go in the active/passive switch hole.

If you really have your heart set on V-V-T, you can replace the pots, pickup select switch, and active/passive switch. Use 250KA pots for the volumes and tone, along with a .047µf poly cap on the tone pot. A SPST mini toggle can be used for your kill switch and get a snap-in hole cover for the other empty switch hole.

If you do not replace the pickup select switch with a pot, this mod is totally reversible to stock.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby TimD » Thu May 03, 2018 6:08 pm

That’s it. But I could take the wire from each switch and run them to individual volume pots, right?
TimD

Postby Ken Baker » Thu May 03, 2018 6:31 pm

Yes. Just wire it up using a Jazz circuit.

Remember this: With a passive instrument you'll need to keep your cable length to 12 feet or less so that line capacitance doesn't cause excessive tone suck. Going to a wireless transmitter on your belt is easy - a couple feet. Going to pedal board should be easy to keep fairly short, but you'll want the last device in the chain to present a low impedance to your amp. Direct to the amp; 12 feet or less.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby TimD » Thu May 03, 2018 6:40 pm

I use a multipedal and a10’ cord. All my other basses are passive.
TimD

Return to The Experimental Bass Association