Looking for an L2500 preamp 'parts list' if one so exists...

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

Re: Looking for an L2500 preamp 'parts list' if one so exist

Postby Eastcoasteddie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:37 pm

So I finally got the time and all the correct parts I needed to reinstall the original v1.0 preamp back in.
If you recall, finding a 10-meg resistor for the A/P switch was the hardest thing to find. I wound up buying a box of 1800+ resistors of various values to get the ONE I needed....
Anyway I had a few hours to myself today and put the preamp together on a bench before installing it into the bass. I needed to use a few lengths of new wire between pots and such, but the one thing that got me concerned was that two of the really thin wires soldered to the preamp board had broken off. The black output from the module to the A/P switch and then the ground wire on the other end of the module. I was able to pull the broken bits out of the module and simply re-solder the wire back into it, but it worries me that the wires seem kind of brittle. I don't have new wire that small...I think it's 24 or 26 AWG. The smallest I have is 22 AWG.
I also installed a push-pull volume pot some time ago for Series pickup wiring. My L2500 originally came wired for Parallel and Single Coil (OMG) only. The 4th toggle switch you see in the photos is for inner/outer coils. I wired up the new volume pot to switch from Single Coil to Series when pulled up.
I just need to find a few washers for the USA-spec pots to bring the knobs down lower to the body.

I actually am surprised at how many more wires are in the cavity now...like a bowl of spaghetti...
I am also surprised that I managed to land all the wires in the right spots the first time around...and I didn't burn or melt anything with the soldering iron either...

Tone-wise, it sounds totally different than how it did with the Pensa Preamp that was installed by Rudy's back in '97. Passive mode sounds a bit darker than it used to, but I am so happy to have my tone controls back. Series sounds so beautifully gritty and grindy...something that the Pensa preamp did not have. I am totally in love with this bass again. All my switches got me a bit confused for a spell, now that the A/P switch is now a 3-way rather than a 2-way.

Now I'm jonsen' for a Kiloton 5 and JB5 to round out the collection. If I have those, all the other crappy basses I've collected will hit Craig's List in a second...
Eastcoasteddie

Postby Bassman56 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:52 pm

I recently replaced my scratchy/popping electronics in my 2002 L2500 with the assembly available from G&L. With the new assembly, it sounds more like a Fender P-Bass with a growl. I have a '75 P-Bass, and I want my G&L sound back. My 1992 L2000 sounds totally different. After years of playing, the L2000 POTS and switches are silent but, the L2500 didn't hold up. The G&L repair guy advised me to let a luthier look at it to ensure I didn't wire something wrong. Anyone else have this issue?
Bassman56

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:53 pm

Bassman56 wrote:I recently replaced my scratchy/popping electronics in my 2002 L2500 with the assembly available from G&L. With the new assembly, it sounds more like a Fender P-Bass with a growl. I have a '75 P-Bass, and I want my G&L sound back. My 1992 L2000 sounds totally different. After years of playing, the L2000 POTS and switches are silent but, the L2500 didn't hold up. The G&L repair guy advised me to let a luthier look at it to ensure I didn't wire something wrong. Anyone else have this issue?

Read this. There is a parts list in there for a v1.3 preamp. You'll probably understand why I'm sending you there once you read the first couple paragraphs.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Previous

Return to The Experimental Bass Association