Preamp for L2000?

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

Preamp for L2000?

Postby Mr. Mom » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:30 pm

I know...I know...Messing with TBBIWW is not wise. But just for kicks, what onboard pre's, with a mid freq cut/boost, have any of you guys put into your MFD equipped G&L's?

Many, many moons ago I played a Climax modded with an Aggie pre. Freakin' killed.
Mr. Mom

Re: Preamp for L2000?

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:23 pm

I have an OBP-3 in my L-2500. Makes for a huge mess/mass of wires in the cavity, but the sound is great.

Kevin has a Nordstrand preamp in his bass that you haven't heard. Yet. Hint, hint, Kev.

Audere also gets good marks, as does John East stuff.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Mom » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:44 pm

Ken, what's the layout of the knobs and switched with your 2500?
Mr. Mom

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:13 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:Ken, what's the layout of the knobs and switched with your 2500?

Switches:
    Standard pickup select
    Series/SC (outers)/Parallel
    Active/Passive

Knobs:
    Volume
    Mid (300Hz center)
    Stacked bass & treble

This is the circuit used. It only shows the feed to the OBP-3, which uses Aguilar's layout. Note that the active/passive switch fully isolates the preamp when in passive mode.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Mom » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:10 pm

Thanks!!

Is there a reason why you didn't use a blend instead of the pickup selector switch?
Mr. Mom

Postby Ken Baker » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:23 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:Is there a reason why you didn't use a blend instead of the pickup selector switch?

I wanted everything to be totally reversible. Replacing the switch with a blend would have required me to enlarge the hole to accommodate the pot's shank. Besides, I seldom venture away from using both pickups, and when I do it's just the neck. Makes sense to me.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Mom » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:58 am

Ken Baker wrote:
Mr. Mom wrote:Is there a reason why you didn't use a blend instead of the pickup selector switch?

I wanted everything to be totally reversible. Replacing the switch with a blend would have required me to enlarge the hole to accommodate the pot's shank. Besides, I seldom venture away from using both pickups, and when I do it's just the neck. Makes sense to me.

Ken...

Gotcha. I wanted to make sure there wasn't a technical reason not to use a blend. I like blends quite a bit. Gets me that "in between" tone that helps in a lot of my crappy acoustic gigs. Which is most of my gigs!

Thanks again for the input! Stay tuned....
Mr. Mom

Postby Mr. Mom » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:09 am

Hey Ken...Is your Aggy pre 9v or 18v? Any reason to go 18v because of the high output MFD's?
Mr. Mom

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Mr. Mom wrote:Hey Ken...Is your Aggy pre 9v or 18v? Any reason to go 18v because of the high output MFD's?

I've got it on 9v, though it will use 18v. The reason is space in the cavity; it's just too cramped with all the other crap in there.

There is good reason to go 18v with L Series MFDs. More headroom. If you really dig in hard with all the EQ settings up high, you can clip the OBP a little. Kind of a narrow set of conditions, mainly because it would be unusual to have all the EQs cranked up high. I run with a slight bass & treble boost and generally leave the mid centered. I also play with a pretty light touch, so I just don't clip.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Mom » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:58 am

Thanks, Ken!

I've said it before but it bears repeating: You da man!
Mr. Mom

Next

Return to The Experimental Bass Association