Another MFD L2000 pickups in other bass thread

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

Re: Another MFD L2000 pickups in other bass thread

Postby Chris » Tue May 14, 2013 3:01 am

I'm really looking forward to finding out how your experiment works. I started a thread a couple weeks ago about moving the P/U positions on my L-2000 Tribute. I never solo the bridge P/U because I don't care for that type of sound, and would prefer that it be moved further away from the bridge so it's more bassy and less nasal. Looks like your bass has that position covered already. Nice.

Curious how the neck position P/U will sound as well. It'll definitely be bassy, but I don't think it's going to be a boom-fest in a bad way. Look at the P/U's on a Rickenbacker. They're positioned where the 24th and 36th frets would be... almost the same as on your bass.
Chris

Postby Dave Campbell » Fri May 31, 2013 9:15 pm

Sorry I don't have pictures of the progress yet, but I did manage to chisel a bit of body material out of the diagonal pickup cavity, and sure enough the bridge pickup cavity was the exact size, and just needed a bit of sanding. However the body on this bass is a fair bit deeper than a G&L, and so I needed to add a booster for the pickup screws which in this case was a piece of 1/2" plywood in each cavity.

The MFD in the neck position - the top set of polepieces line up perfectly! The bottom row, not really, but it still looks OK to me.

Then I faced the task of enlarging the pickup holes in the pickguard... holy moly. I'm not equipped with very many tools so I ended up literally going at it with a flat file and a round file for the corners. It was a lot of work but it was worth it... the fact that it was such a slow process ensured I didn't make any huge mistakes, in the end it was a lot of fine tuning. But I got it eventually. A lot of noise and really stinky smelling, those shavings from the pickguard are something else!! It really doesn't look half bad... the only flaw really is that the corners of the pickguard hole for the pickup are squared, not rounded, but oh well...

I finally received my order from Guitar Parts Resource which inluded 500k pots, a jack, a toggle switch and wiring, and so now I guess I need some help figuring out how to wire this sucker up.

The series/parallel switch is one of the mini ON/ON toggles very similar looking to those in an L2000, but without the colored rubber end on it. The wire hookups consist of 6 prongs...

I noticed the MFD pickups have 4 wires... green, white, yellow, black.
Dave Campbell

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:52 am

Dave Campbell wrote:I finally received my order from Guitar Parts Resource which inluded 500k pots, a jack, a toggle switch and wiring, and so now I guess I need some help figuring out how to wire this sucker up.

The series/parallel switch is one of the mini ON/ON toggles very similar looking to those in an L2000, but without the colored rubber end on it. The wire hookups consist of 6 prongs...

I noticed the MFD pickups have 4 wires... green, white, yellow, black.

Did I miss something? What have you decided on for controls and switching?

A series/parallel switch that controls BOTH pickups would have 12 posts. If you're after series/parallel for individual pickups, then the switches would have 6 posts. This data sheet gives details. The switch to control both pickups is the 7401; 4PDT, ON-ON. The switch to control individual pickups is the 7201; DPDT, ON-ON.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Dave Campbell » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:02 pm

Aaah, that's a good point, Ken. I didn't consider that point. I'm only wanting one switch, so it would be controlling both pickups simultaneously. Looks like I need to order the other spec switch. Also, it's going to be a VOL/VOL configuration, I'm not bothering with a tone knob.
Dave Campbell

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:57 pm

A couple more thing to consider:

You're going to have a lot of wire stuffed into the channel running to and from the switch location on the lower horn, and it will all act as an antenna for EMI. You'll do well to adequately shield that channel, if not all the cavities. Assuming, of course, that it isn't already shielded.

The leads from the pickups will need to be extended to reach the switch. I recommend that you solder/splice leads and do not attempt to replace the original leads.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Dave Campbell » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:52 pm

Ken, thanks for that link. I also notice at the bottom of that page the red/white/black rubber caps are offered.

Yes, you're right, that is going to be a lot of wiring occupying that routing and shielding would be a good idea. It's not nearly as compact a configuration as the L2000/ASAT.

This has all been really helpful.
Dave Campbell

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:13 pm

Dave, you should note that C-K Components is a manufacturer. As such, they don't sell directly to end users. You can get them through Digikey, Mouser, or from G&L. You'd need to call G&L as they are currently rebuilding the online store (Yea!!!).

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:36 pm

Okay. This ought to get you going. A quick pencil scribble, so please excuse my scrawl.

Click on the image for a PDF suitable for printing.

Provides G&L-standard series/parallel coil switching. Volume-volume.

You'll have six extended pickup wires leading to your switch and two or three wires from the switch to the controls (and maybe ground) (total of eight or nine wires in the body channel). The ground wire from the switch can be grounded near the switch if possible, otherwise it goes to the main cavity. Green pickup wires get grounded and do not need to be extended to the switch. Switch orientation can be as shown or 180 degrees from that shown (ie, it isn't critical). I show ground here terminating at a single point, which is preferable but not required.

There may be a small amount of interaction in the controls due to loading, but it would be minimal to the point that you probably wouldn't notice.

Ken...
Last edited by Ken Baker on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To allow for ground wire from switch.
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby Dave Campbell » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:24 am

Nice diagram, Ken! :D

Now those multiple wires going to ground... I could have them connect to a brass ground plate and have a single wire connect to the bridge?

And I'm guessing an alternative would be to have:
* Both green wires soldered to one of the pots (or each to a different pot)
* The wire from the switch to ground... same? To one of the pots
* The tong on the bridge volume pot soldered to the pot itself, including the connecting wire from the neck volume pot
* Ground wire from jack connected to bridge

By the way, how long did it take you to draw that diagram???
Dave Campbell

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:55 am

Dave Campbell wrote:Nice diagram, Ken! :D

Thanks!

Now those multiple wires going to ground... I could have them connect to a brass ground plate and have a single wire connect to the bridge?

You can connect any of those wires to any good ground point so long as it is a good ground point. Using a single common ground point (star ground) helps to make sure this happens, but it's sometimes a pain to do. The difference is slight so long as your grounds are solid.

By the way, how long did it take you to draw that diagram???

A few minutes. I was working from a couple of pre-existing drawings. I can't remember all this stuff!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Experimental Bass Association