Single-Coil'ish Sound from MFD Pickups

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

Single-Coil'ish Sound from MFD Pickups

Postby GeorgeB » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:46 am

Hi all,

It is well known that the MFD pole pieces are adjustable and some people may use that to balance the distances to their needs, but I've yet not seen/heard of anyone who pulled some of the pole cores completely and raise the remaining ones to render the pups more single-coil'ish, physically. I did, using a P-style pattern, and this is what it looks like on my Tribute L2000 :
MFD_SC_PulledCores2.jpg
MFD_SC_PulledCores2.jpg (177.76 KiB) Viewed 2922 times

Obviously this P-style pulling of cores works best when using the pups as humbuckers only, either series or parallel wiring, and then either 3-way switch or blend control.

"OMG"-Wirings and inner/outer coil true SC-modes may/will have some uneven tonal balance among strings depending on which cores you choose to remove. If you take away all poles from the same row, then SC-modes does work again on these coils, but a bit of hum cacelling may be lost in the humbucker modes of a pup (this is a general issue in general with 5'ers as well).

I hardly use those SC-modes, so not an issue with me. I pretty much like the sound of the parallel mode per pup on both my L2K and L1500, it has more SC flavor, more air and presence than standard parallel but still sporting the balls MFD's are famous for, with full humbucking.

You need to sink in the pups in their compartments as deep as possible and may have to remove/trim the pads or springs under them to avoid overstress/damage when screwing them down.

EDIT: The allen wrench for the pole pieces is not the same size needed for saddle height and bridge clamping screws but slightly bigger (on all my 3 G&L's). Make sure you have the correct size, sitting snugly without any slack in the hex head, otherwise you may damage the scew and may not be able to adjust it later anymore, even with the correct size wrench.
GeorgeB

Re: Single-Coil'ish Sound from MFD Pickups

Postby deltafred » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:30 am

Very ingenious.

GeorgeB wrote:You need to sink in the pups in their compartments as deep as possible and may have to remove/trim the pads or springs under them to avoid overstress/damage when screwing them down.

Is this because the pole piece housings are a ferrous material and you need to get them as far away from the strings as possible (to stop them spoiling the SC effect)?

fred
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby GeorgeB » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:50 pm

^ Yes, Fred, the idea is to skew the magnet field to dominantly over one pole piece and reduce the output of the adjacent coil as much as possible at the same time.

On my L1500 I may return to the full set of pole cores and try OMG series mode to get a beefier low end, though. On the L2K, with pups in parallel mode I like this pulled core thing pretty much, soloed pups as well a combined.
GeorgeB

Postby GeorgeB » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:55 pm

Coming back to the allen wrench, seems I got that wrong for some reason, sorry.
The provided allen wrench does fit both saddle scews and pole pieces, and that's also what Ken's resource says.
GeorgeB

Return to The Experimental Bass Association