asat/ L-2000 pickup mod question

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

asat/ L-2000 pickup mod question

Postby sscandyman » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:10 am

my wife is taking up bass and while im fairly savvy on the ins and outs of G&L guitars but i am a babe in the woods when it comes to basses .i am looking at an ASAT bass that has had EMGs installed and if i get it for her i would want to take it back to stock . im wondering if the cavities would have had to have been modified to fit the EMGs . on most guitars i would not consider this an issue but a few years ago i bought an F-100 that had normal buckers in it and that poor thing had been butchered to fit them .

from the pic it looks like there are gaps around the pups so im guessing its not a factory job, but i could be wrong. im decent at repairs so even if i had to fill some routes in the cavities id get by but im thinking im already on the verge of overpaying but our anniversary is rapidly approaching lol

thanks for any knowledge you can throw my way!

-JT
sscandyman

Re: asat/ L-2000 pickup mod question

Postby Chris » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:08 pm

Looks to me like they removed the stock pickups (WHY?!?) and just put the EMGs in there with room to spare.

How much are they asking for it? Unless you're getting it for a song you'd probably be better off trying to find one that hasn't been modified. The stock pickups are over $100 a piece unless you already have some or have a line on some. Then there's the pots and switches and the preamp.
Chris

Postby sscandyman » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:56 pm

they are asking $600 for it , what research ive done i estimate they are worth around $800 ( stock) lotta internal debating going on . aniversary is less than a month off ... kinda have a line on some electronics but still not cheap, or could take the electronics out of her tribby but doubt a" project" tribute would sell for all that much.
sscandyman

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:12 pm

Welcome!

sscandyman wrote:my wife is taking up bass and while im fairly savvy on the ins and outs of G&L guitars but i am a babe in the woods when it comes to basses .i am looking at an ASAT bass that has had EMGs installed and if i get it for her i would want to take it back to stock . im wondering if the cavities would have had to have been modified to fit the EMGs . on most guitars i would not consider this an issue but a few years ago i bought an F-100 that had normal buckers in it and that poor thing had been butchered to fit them .

from the pic it looks like there are gaps around the pups so im guessing its not a factory job, but i could be wrong. im decent at repairs so even if i had to fill some routes in the cavities id get by but im thinking im already on the verge of overpaying but our anniversary is rapidly approaching lol

I edited your post above to show the image inline.

G&L only used EMG pickups in a bass once; a long time ago in the L-5500, which was a precursor to the current L-2500. The ASAT came along years after that.

I can't tell for sure, but it could be that maybe the pickup cavities are stock. What makes me question this is that I'd normally expect to see the cavities the same color as the body - blue it this case. It looks pretty white in there, so there may have been some modding done. You don't say what the electronics are like, so I'll assume that something more EMG compatible than the stock electronics package is in there.

MFD pickups can be ordered from G&L for $120 each. The electronics package isn't listed, so you'd need to contact a dealer or (more likely) G&L for pricing and availability. If I were to estimate costs, I'd guess you'd run $350 or so to bring it back to stock. Not inexpensive. Add that to what you might pay for the bass as it sits and you might be able to get into a used USA G&L or certainly a Tribute.

If you have you heart set on an ASAT, then it might cost a little more for a good used one compared to what you're now looking at. But it would be in better shape.

Good luck!

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Return to The Experimental Bass Association