Cobbled Tribute L2500

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

Cobbled Tribute L2500

Postby pfbass » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:39 pm

I purchased a Tribute l2500 body from G&L clearance for $65 US. Since then, I've found G&L bridge and pickups. I went back to the G&L store and got the USA wiring harness which contains the pots and preamp (the US pots are slightly bigger so you have to ream the holes in the Tribute body). Bought two of the wrong knobs, since one pot is split shaft and the others are straight so reordered the correct ones. Still looking for a Tribute neck. The US is slightly narrower than the Tribute but both are very hard to find so far. I ordered an off brand that "should" work temporarily. Tried all different ways to find a Tribute neck online but no luck. I should mention the blue burst body looks amazing even from clearance. A few cosmetic flaws but nothing serious and nothing I can't live with.
So I'm at a point to start putting it together and I realized the preamp board doesn't come with a battery lead. I picked one up but I know nothing of electronics and where this thing connects. I "think" the positive red wire should go with the positive red wire on the board and the black wire to the output jack but I can't find a pic or video to confirm that. Would anyone be able to tell me for certain or share a pic of theirs? I downloaded the diagrams from G&L support but those are more for someone who knows what they're looking at.

So long story short, I'm looking for a Tribute L2500 neck and guidance or pics of the preamp wiring for the battery lead if anyone is able to help?

Thanks in advance and let me know if you have any questions.
Pete
pfbass

Re: Cobbled Tribute L2500

Postby jglunt2112 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:25 am

The blueburst is probably my favorite of all the Tribute colors. Congrats on scoring that body. About 5 years ago, I put that USA preamp into a Tribute L2000. That's been a while back, but as far as I remember (about 90% certain), yes, the red wire from the preamp and the battery lead connect and the black wire from the battery lead goes to the ring tab on the jack. Hopefully if I'm wrong about that, others more knowledgeable that I will correct this.

A few years ago, I was searching for a neck for my USA SB-2 and had zero luck finding one anywhere. I finally had G&L make me one, but that's not an option on a Tribute. And the neck on an L2500 is 6-bolt and 21 frets. I don't know where you'd look for such a neck. Sometimes used G&L necks turn up on Ebay if you want to take a chance on that. If one doesn't turn up in the "Clearance Necks" department of the G&L Store soon, you might contact Memo at G&L to see what he can do about locating one. His email is repairs@glguitars.com or repairs@bbesound.com. His phone extension is 156. The phone number is on the website. Sorry I don't have that handy.
jglunt2112

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:24 pm

pfbass wrote:So I'm at a point to start putting it together and I realized the preamp board doesn't come with a battery lead. I picked one up but I know nothing of electronics and where this thing connects. I "think" the positive red wire should go with the positive red wire on the board and the black wire to the output jack but I can't find a pic or video to confirm that. Would anyone be able to tell me for certain or share a pic of theirs? I downloaded the diagrams from G&L support but those are more for someone who knows what they're looking at.

Red to the preamp, black to the RING of the jack. Not TIP - that's for signal. Not SLEEVE - that's for ground.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby pfbass » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:24 pm

Thank you, Ken Baker and jglunt2112! I appreciate the confirmation as well as the additional info. That really helps quite a bit. Thank you!
pfbass

Postby Ken Baker » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:26 pm

One thing we should, collectively, tell you.

When you finish this bass, please post pics of it. Pics are good. And we'll try not to drool all over our keyboards. :twisted:

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby pfbass » Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:59 am

Finally getting to installing the electronics and of course, I have more questions. The MFD L2500 pickups I purchased off ebay only came with the anchoring screws but I'm curious what G&L uses for their hight adjustment? My first thought was just use a foam pad similar to what Seymor Duncans come with but wanted to check if anyone new how they come stock in the instrument? I'll be taking pictures along the way and will share once I have some real progress.

Thanks again!
pfbass

Postby Ken Baker » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:38 pm

Years ago, springs were used. Now it's foam.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby pfbass » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:32 pm

GLTL2500.jpg
G&L Tribute L2500
GLTL2500.jpg (173.67 KiB) Viewed 74 times
It's been awhile but I wanted to share that with some luck and help from the some amazing folks, I was able to source and original G&L Tribute L2500 neck and I've got everything together. Right now it looks amazing but ran into a problem with the set up. After adjusting the truss rod, bridge and nut height, I still can't get the strings any lower. They're pretty hight right now to the point I think I need to shim the neck since the saddles are as low as they'll go. I think I'm okay working through that but I wanted to confirm the pickup height/distance from the strings? I know there's room for personal preference and the warble effect if they're too close but for this bass what's the standard? 3/32nds? and is that distance open string or fretted from a particular fret?
Thanks in advance and I'm going to post a pic here.
pfbass

Postby Ken Baker » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:14 pm

There is no "standard" height. The pickups are really hot, so lower is better at least to start. Then use your ears to adjust. This may help.

And yes, a shim is helpful. I have one in my US L-2500.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby pfbass » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:44 am

Thanks again, Ken!
pfbass

Return to The Experimental Bass Association