JB/JB-2 pickups wiring mod

Bass mods, tweaks, and the like are home in here. Got an Evil Experiment to share? Pull up a keyboard and have at it!

The EBA is hosted by deltafred, a UK based pro player and electronics guru.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Moderator: deltafred

JB/JB-2 pickups wiring mod

Postby jim.i » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:13 am

I am considering modifying the typical passive 3-knob setup Vol(neck) / Vol(bridge) /Tone and curious to know if anyone has already done this:

Neck Volume knob becomes master, Tone knob unchanged

2nd (bridge) Volume knob modded to 4-position rotary detent knob: neck pickup 100% (and bridge pup off) , both pickups 100% parallel , both pickups 100% serial , bridge pickup 100% (and neck pup off).

I believe this would also be humcancelling in all 4 positions. So the completed mod would retain the 3 knobs and unchanged look, but the knobs would be Volume, Rotary Pup Selector, and Tone.

I never blend pickups, only use either full-on neck or bridge depending on the sound i'm after, and i've also found that serial connection adds a wonderful fullness to the entire frequency range that is missing from the stock passive sound (at least to my ears).
jim.i

Re: JB/JB-2 pickups wiring mod

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:29 am

Just stepping in quickly for this then backing out.

jim.i wrote:I believe this would also be humcancelling in all 4 positions.

In the case of the JB or JB-2, the pickups will only be hum canceling when both are set to exactly the same level. Either pickup by itself will not be hum canceling. Both pickups, in either parallel or series, will be hum canceling.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby jim.i » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:50 am

Ahh, thx for clarification Ken.

Ken Baker wrote:Just stepping in quickly for this then backing out.

jim.i wrote:I believe this would also be humcancelling in all 4 positions.

In the case of the JB or JB-2, the pickups will only be hum canceling when both are set to exactly the same level. Either pickup by itself will not be hum canceling. Both pickups, in either parallel or series, will be hum canceling.

Ken...
jim.i

Postby bigtone23 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:51 pm

I think it would be easier to get parts and a diagram to wire the bass up with a master volume, 3 way switch and master tone. Make either the volume or tone a push/pull pot to do series/parallel.
July 1983 El Toro. Rosewood, black, alder? body. 10 pounds.
bigtone23

Return to The Experimental Bass Association