Upcoming Gigs (and Band details)

This is the place for all general discussions, music or otherwise.

No religious, politics, or other "Hot Button" topics. Period. Such posts will be deleted on sight. Other than that, please check the forum guidelines (such as they are).

Upcoming Gigs (and Band details)

Postby deltafred » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:08 am

This is in response to another thread. I'm not quite in SoCal, more like E. Yorks so I don't expect many of you turning up at gigs, but if you are ever over here then give me a shout.

My band "The Rumble" (I had nothing to do with the name).

Kev - Lead/rhythm guitar and vocals (80% lead vocals)
Andy - Lead/rhythm guitar lead vocals (10% lead vocals)
Graham - Drums
Myself - Bass and vocals (10% lead vocals)

We are a bunch of weekend warriors who play classic rock and 60's/70's pop with a rock edge (well it has when we play it). Between us we have over 120 years gigging experience.
Graham and I would prefer to play more classic rock, Kev would prefer to play all 60's pop. Andy has not been with us long enough to voice his opinion but I suspect it could be more like 3:1 than 50/50.

Gigs are getting harder to find in the current economic climate (make that depression) but we have a gig tonight at "The Station Inn" in Hedon.

We play there about twice a year and always have a good night (now that has put the kiss of death on it). It will be a long hot night but hopefully worth it.

I will report back tomorrow.
fred
deltafred
Global Mod

Re: Upcoming Gigs (and Band details)

Postby deltafred » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:40 am

As promised here is the gig report.

The space we are given to play in is tiny, it was small enough when we were a 3 piece, but we managed to gain another foot or two and squeeze another guitarist in by me almost blocking the door into the dinning room. It wasn't in use last night for a good job.

The place filled up really early so we brought forward our start time by half an hour and extended each set by ten minutes so we finished at the correct time. There are houses nearby so the finishing time is pretty strict.

It was a really good crowd who appreciated live music and they were quite disappointed when we had to finish and were rather vocal about it. We would gladly have played longer but had to observe the curfew. There was a group of people who were planning on staying for the first set and then moving on to the next pub, they ended up staying all night.

We played a couple of newly learned numbers, in hindsight one was not really ready and would certainly have benefited from some more work but all in all a good gig.

As a bonus the landlord asked us back in about a month and we also had 2 people showing interest in booking us for private parties, but as we all now a gig is not a gig until it is confirmed.

fred
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:47 pm

Hey, Fred! Do you think we need to add a gig forum?

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby deltafred » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:38 pm

Ken Baker wrote:Hey, Fred! Do you think we need to add a gig forum?

Ken...

I would see how popular it becomes first, there does not seem to be a rush to post yet.

Maybe it is a slack time for everyone, or they are all very shy (a trait not often seen in gigging musicians). :lol:

fred
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby jfh4242 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:01 am

A gig thread seems more appropriate to me.

I'd post my gigs, but man, I don't think there's anyone else from Montreal here. I could be wrong though.

John
jfh4242
Global Mod

Postby Youngspanion » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:51 am

I started getting a band together in Sept. to cover blues and classic rock with Lots of Allman's, Clapton, Albert King and you get the picture. Me, a drummer and guitar/vocalist. We jam for about 3 or 4 weeks and John, the vocalist gets a job working far from home and can't make a regular rehearsal. I figure thats it. Time to move on. On friday the drummer, Charlie, calls and wants me to get in touch with John so we can play a kids halloween party for his wife's daycare center on Sunday. Lots of parents there. John says yes and were all in. Now mind you, we only know about 6 or 7 songs that we've rehearsed together and we figure, "What the Hey". Lets just have some fun. Maybe the kids will like it. .... We'll don't you know. We get paying gig from this party. Some parent there wants us to play at a party she's having at her house Saturday night. I couldn't believe it when she asked me if we can play for her. Ain't that cool?
2008 SB2 Pearl White/rosewood
2011 30th anniversary L2000 Pearl Frost/ Ebony
Youngspanion

Postby deltafred » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:56 pm

Youngspanion wrote:We'll don't you know. We get paying gig from this party she's having at her house Saturday night. I couldn't believe it when she asked me if we can play for her. Ain't that cool?

That's pretty cool!

It's funny how things like that happen. The previous band I was in started in the 80's when a folk duo jammed with a drummer and guitarist at a church benefit gig. Some acts had pulled out so to fill in time they played a few rock and roll standards, Johnny B Goode etc. Someone booked them for a dance so it was a mad panic to scrape together enough songs for the night.

I joined in 1987 when the guitarist went to work abroad, then switched to bass (my first love) in 1999 when the bass player quit. The band finally broke up in 2007.

fred
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby Youngspanion » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:50 am

Up Coming gig at the Bay St. Saloon @ 523 Bay St. in Staten Island. This is a new owner of an old bar in an area of Staten Island that has a history of live music, drinking and dancing. Its been a long time since people on Staten Island have relished in this depressed/industrial area but with the economy the way it is, maybe the turnaround is coming. When I was young and happening in the '80's, this was the place to go. All kinds of bars, dance clubs and stages to check out and develop bad habits.

We are the Bulletproof Blues Band and we are a three piece outfit covering songs from Freddy King, Eric Clapton, Derek and the Dominoes, the Allman Brothers Band and a lot more. There is a $5 cover and we go on at 10. And if you decide to try the Mad Elf beer, as delicious as it is, it has a high alcohol content. BEWARE!
2008 SB2 Pearl White/rosewood
2011 30th anniversary L2000 Pearl Frost/ Ebony
Youngspanion

Postby darwinohm » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:06 pm

Friends:
Many of you have asked me to let you know if we ever play in the Mpls/ St Paul area. Well, we are! For booking in the cities, we have picked a new name for the band, but first of all let me tell you a bit about the band members:

Kelly Scott: Vocals.
Kelly was the Minnesota State Champion Karaoke performer in 2005 and went on to the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, placing third in the nation. She has won many various competitions over the years and this lady can sing! Need I say more.

Steve Tamasy: Lead Guitarist.
Steve was an original founding member of the Titans in the early 60's. This was a band from Duluth that had several regional hits and one that made the national charts. Steve was also the Director of a USO Band for the US Army in the mid 60's, while serving in Vietnam. Prior to his military service, he worked as a musician in New York and LA and has backed several national artists. Steve also wrote the song titled "Smoking In The Boys Room". Just last week we asked him what inspired him to write that song back in the 60's. His response: That's what we did! Steve was inducted into the Midwest Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. He is currently retired and living in Brainerd Mn.

Terry Thorson: Vocals/Drummer
Terry spent the majority of his career as a working musician in Nashville and backing several national artists. Terry does Waylon, Willie and others in a convincing fashion and you may think they are there! Terry is also retired and living in the Brainerd area.

Kari Karels: Rhythm Guitar
Kari is a musician in the Worship Band at her church in Cambridge Mn. Kari has developed well as a musician and I am also proud to let everyone know that she is my Daughter. I am happy that she is able to join us.

Darwin Ohman: Bass Guitar/ background vocals
I am also a retired dude, been playing since the early 60's and lucky to be a bandmate of these folks.

So, I am proud to introduce "The AGATES".
We will be playing at the Fridley VFW on Friday, Dec 9, and Saturday, Dec 10. Both performances will be from 8:30 PM to !2:30 AM. We would love to have you join us. It is located on Hwy 65 and Osborn Rd in Fridley Mn.
Thanks everyone-- Darwin
darwinohm

Return to The Cave