Ken went on a field trip. No, not to G&L.

This is the place for all general discussions, music or otherwise.

No religious, politics, or other "Hot Button" topics. Period. Such posts will be deleted on sight. Other than that, please check the forum guidelines (such as they are).

Ken went on a field trip. No, not to G&L.

Postby Ken Baker » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:09 pm

First nice day in a while so Kevin & I went to The San Diego Zoo Safari Park. We were there for only a short time so didn't even come close to covering the whole park, but we hit a few places. It was also an opportunity for us both to learn a bit about new cameras we have. These are my pics.

Camera: Nikon D5600
Lenses used: 18mm-50mm VR kit lens, 70mm-300mm kit lens, and a 40mm Micro-Nikkor macro lens.
For anyone interested, EXIF data has not been stripped. These images started out as RAW, most cropped as needed, using minimal image manipulation. The lens used the most was the 70mm-300mm, which is a pretty decent kit lens. It doesn't have image stabilization (VR), so I used shutter priority at 1/1250 to help reduce image blur. Same with the 40mm. Enough with the tech stuff.

Bald eagle. This was a tough one. Lighting was difficult and I was shooting through a mesh screen. Manual focus.

Antelope of some sort.

This is one of a couple bamboo walkways in the park. I cropped out the actual walkway because it was filled with pesky humans.

California Condor from about 50 feet.

This is a rather sinister looking image of a Cassowary. Think of them as a feathered dinosaur that'll mess you up. More info here.

Also from Down Under, a Tree Kangaroo.

Giraffes being doted on by a tour group.

Here's a simple landscape shot. Notice all the green on the hills in the background, which is outside the park. Yes, we've gotten quite a lot of rain here in SoCal.

Fully grown and about a foot tall.

This isn't a real wonderful shot, but it just isn't a trip to the Zoo without the Chubby Unicorns!

A member of the cleaning crew.

Last, but not least, one of the locals stopping by for a snack.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Re: Ken went on a field trip. No, not to G&L.

Postby Kevin Baker » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:29 am

My turn! I had filled a backpack with all of the lenses I have, and I only ended up using one. Oh, well, better to have them and not need them, and so on.

It's a link to an Imgur album, just because it's 1:22 in the morning right now and I don't want to wake up the webmaster to get something hosted.

Camera: Sony a6000
Lens: Sony 70-200mm F4 G
Imgur stripped out the EXIF data on upload, per their privacy policy. If anyone is curious about camera settings, feel free to ask and I'll see about getting that out there.

https://imgur.com/a/uhrK0JT

--
Kevin.
Kevin Baker

Re: Ken went on a field trip. No, not to G&L.

Postby jshilgebass » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:35 pm

I used to have an annual San Diego Zoo membership pass, allowing me free visits to both the Zoo and the Safari Park. Those pictures bring back fond memories of the times I spent there among the animals.

Joe Hilgeman
jshilgebass

Return to The Cave