Neck Thru or Bolt On….

You mean there are other basses? :D This is where those discussions go.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Neck Thru or Bolt On….

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:48 am

Fos some reason I'm lusting for a Warwick Streamer Stage I four string bass. PJ set up with reversed P pup. They make a neck thru model, (guite expensive) and a bolt on neck model. Any advantages or disadvartages of either to consider.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Jimi
BluesBassPlayer

Re: Neck Thru or Bolt On….

Postby Youngspanion » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:36 pm

Jimi,

I don't know the difference between the two but the neck through has a real smooth look to it. What a nice looking bass. Is natural the only color in the 4 string version?
2008 SB2 Pearl White/rosewood
2011 30th anniversary L2000 Pearl Frost/ Ebony
Youngspanion

Postby guitarmakermark » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:49 pm

Action setup and freboard issues are a heckuvalot easier to resolve on a bolt-on neck, for sure, due to the detachability of the neck.

Whether or not a neck-thru design offers more tone and sustain, is a tough question to answer. It's a matter of personal perception, and as we all know, one man's filet mignon is another man's ground chuck.

Just my two cents!

Peace,

Mark
guitarmakermark

Postby PluckyThump » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:47 pm

I'm late to this party but I owned a neck through Warwick Streamer for a while. It was a beautiful sounding bass, thick and rich, with top-end bite too. I ended up trading it off. The main thing I disliked about it was the longer reach to the lower frets. It has a 24-fret board and the neck through design makes it very easy to play up high but down low it is harder, unless you have long arms. Tonally it seemed to have less attack and more bloom than a bolt-on. It was very smooth sounding, but lacked punch.
1980 L-1000
1981 L-1000
1987 El Toro
1992 L-2000
2001 JB-2
PluckyThump

Postby BluesBassPlayer » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:27 pm

PluckyThump wrote:I'm late to this party but I owned a neck through Warwick Streamer for a while. It was a beautiful sounding bass, thick and rich, with top-end bite too. I ended up trading it off. The main thing I disliked about it was the longer reach to the lower frets. It has a 24-fret board and the neck through design makes it very easy to play up high but down low it is harder, unless you have long arms. Tonally it seemed to have less attack and more bloom than a bolt-on. It was very smooth sounding, but lacked punch.

Plucky Thump

Thanks for the response. I have a Jack Bruce Thumb NT and find the same difficulty. The lower frets seem so far away being the Thumb body is so small. Amazing how Jack Bruce plays one without any difficulty being such a slight built man.

Jimi
BluesBassPlayer

Postby Brob » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:35 pm

Speaking of late replies.....
We all hear frequently of sustain in regard to bass construction. But IMO, the question should be
how much sustain does a bass really need? I can not say I have ever had a problem with either
neck style being lacking.
Brob

Return to The Others