ASAT Bass Wiring Question

You mean there are other basses? :D This is where those discussions go.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Re: ASAT Bass Wiring Question

Postby guitarmakermark » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:06 pm

You mean, the whole dang world ain't on California time??

Oh, wait, there's an older country 'n western tune, by Don Williams, called "Tulsa Time," so I guess not....

Fred, I hope you have a blast at your band reunion, and I'm sure you'll remember more than you have forgotten.

Thanks, fellas, for your considered replies. Given that the addition of any resistor will further attenuate this weak pup's output, I shall skip the resistor thang.

I'm just going to go ahead with the series/parallel switch (relative to the pots) and call it good, until such a time as my friend can pony up a couple new pickups.

You two helped me clear up a couple of mysteries, and I do appreciate your help!

Take care,

Mark
guitarmakermark

Postby deltafred » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:25 am

Mark

We had a great time, they have just gone home (16:00). We didn't even get the guitars out this time just sat chatting about old times and gigs.

We went to a local pub for lunch and sat out in the open air to eat it. Not many days you can do that in the UK and not be cold. It is a pleasant 21 degrees C here (about 70 F). I had better make the most of it, it won't last long.

fred
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby deltafred » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:21 pm

Mark

It has just occurred to me (I never was that quick off the blocks), why not use the good coil in the bad pickup, as a single coil until you can source a suitable replacement?

fred
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby guitarmakermark » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:01 pm

Fred,

That's a terrific idea! I will incorporate that scheme into the final wiring config, and report back to let you know how it went.

Don't worry about being not-so-fast out of the blocks, mature fellows like us need only be steady and sure!

Thanks again,

Mark
guitarmakermark

Postby guitarmakermark » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:19 pm

Fellows,

I completed the wiring repairs on the fake G&L today.

I did indeed isolate the (sort-of) good coil in the neck pup, and wired the bass according to the Seymour Duncan diagram I posted earlier.

The push-pull switch puts those weak pups in series, so as to bolster the signal, and with the pups in series, the tone control even works! :lol:

I tried the resistor idea on the stronger of the two pups, but that cut down on the stronger pup's signal too much for my liking.

Bottom line, the bass works much better than it did when it arrived chez moi, and the customer will be able to perform with it. He is intending to bring a replacement set of pups in for installation, when he can afford to do so.

Thank you fellers for your help with this project; you both taught me quite a bit, and I am grateful.

Mark
guitarmakermark

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:53 am

Excellent, Mark. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby guitarmakermark » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:11 pm

Thanks, Ken; I appreciate your support.

It seems I may have a 100 year-old double bass viol (pardon the redundancy,) coming into my shop for repairs. Someone in this old bass' past took it upon himself to decimate the fingerboard and bridge, by planing away the radius from the board and re-profiling the top of the bridge to match!

The bass also has some seams which are coming apart and upon which this earlier so-called "craftsman" had attempted a repair.

Chances are I will be commissioned to put this grand old bass right again, and I'm wondering if there might be a spot on this board to post the project's parameters and progress?

Let me know what you think, and thanks again!

Mark
guitarmakermark

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:25 pm

Here in The Others is as good a place as any, and a URB thread would be welcome.

I know little about the care & feeding of the beasts beyond the obvious. When a luthier is called for, Jeff at Lemur Music gets the call. The guy is a magician.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby guitarmakermark » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:54 pm

Hmmm.....
I thought you fellows are located in the UK.....is there not a luthier, uh, nearer to you??? :roll: :shock:
guitarmakermark

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:03 pm

guitarmakermark wrote:Hmmm.....
I thought you fellows are located in the UK.....is there not a luthier, uh, nearer to you??? :roll: :shock:

Fred is in the UK.

I'm in Orange County. California. I'm pretty equidistant between the BBE sound office in Huntington Beach and the G&L factory in Fullerton.

Lemur Music is about 30 miles away as I-5 flies. I've actually got another really good luthier that is closer; John at World Of Strings in Long Beach. But Jeff is our go-to guy.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Others