Is an OLP Stingray worth investigating for $125?

You mean there are other basses? :D This is where those discussions go.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Re: Is an OLP Stingray worth investigating for $125?

Postby bassman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:42 am

Its good to be flexible in terms of string spacing on basses. That will open up a world of bass choices to you.

The OLP basses are not as nice as the original Musicman SUB bassses that were made in the USA, but for 125 bucks they are worth the plunge.

About SUB basses:
Can you guys tell me how to know what series is what in budget MM basses?
There are basses called Sterling, SUB and all are made in Korea or Indonesia. It is very confusing knowing the value of one of these instruments. :?:
bassman

Postby Ken Baker » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:24 pm

bassman wrote:About SUB basses:

Can you guys tell me how to know what series is what in budget MM basses?
There are basses called Sterling, SUB and all are made in Korea or Indonesia. It is very confusing knowing the value of one of these instruments. :?:

And China (I believe)

The early SUB basses and guitars were made in SLO along with the MM basses and guitars. They were discontinued because they were losing money on them. Damned fine instruments.

The Sterling by Musicman instruments might be considered along side Tribute by G&L and Lakland Skyline. I do not know about parts sourcing, such as pickups, but they get good reviews.

The current SUB series is, as I understand it, entry level. I haven't heard much about them, but I don't read the EBMM forum much these days.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby deltafred » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:59 am

I looked at the OLP Stingray before I bought my (SLO) SUB, the biggest differences are the electronics, OLP is usually passive IIRC, and the pickup is a cheap far eastern MM imitation and sounds it. (I think the pole pieces are mild steel instead of (low hysteresis) silicon steel as in the better quality ceramic pups.)

Ken Baker wrote:The early SUB basses and guitars were made in SLO along with the MM basses and guitars. They were discontinued because they were losing money on them. Damned fine instruments.

I can vouch for that, for quality they are every bit as good as a Stingray. They have a solid colour on the neck and head (mine is black) and that textured finish on the non contoured body that would stand a nuclear holocaust, if you can get past those then they are a very good bass.

The worst feature is the pseudo aluminium chequer plate (deck/tread plate) pick guard, fortunately it is also the most easily changed. Mine now sports an antique white pearloid guard.

I have read a rumour that the reason they started making them was to put to good use necks that had cosmetic blemished that they could not use for Stingrays, sounds logical to me (but could be completely wrong).

fred
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby bassman » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:53 pm

FWIW:
In the years since first posting here, I have picked up 3 USA SUB basses. One a Stingray 4 in maroon with a flat black PG.
One a Stingray 5 in blue with the aluminum PG and passive electronics and a $terling bass in black with a 3 band EQ .
The Sterling I have talked about in another thread with its bad preamp which I am replacing as soon as it gets to me from MM.

These basses are as good as the USA MM basses. You just have to get over the utilitarian look, which I have, because they are so functional and I like their tones better that the average top line MM bass.
bassman

Postby thumper4524 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:24 pm

I found a tony Levin OLP 5 stringer in a pawn shop a few years back. I kept seeing it in there over a period of a few months and I pulled the trigger. It's the pseudo quilt version with maple fretboard. The preamp is extremely noisy and the overall sound is thin, probably because of the cheap pickup and basswood body. It's certainly pretty though, at least from a distance.
thumper4524

Postby Ken Baker » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:42 pm

Welcome aboard!

thumper4524 wrote:I found a tony Levin OLP 5 stringer in a pawn shop a few years back. I kept seeing it in there over a period of a few months and I pulled the trigger. It's the pseudo quilt version with maple fretboard. The preamp is extremely noisy and the overall sound is thin, probably because of the cheap pickup and basswood body. It's certainly pretty though, at least from a distance.

An OLP with a preamp? Interesting.

As I'm sure you know, all the electronics can be changed out for good stuff. You could even get a good pickup and run it passive and have great tone. And don't discount that basswood body. It's actually a pretty decent tonewood and lots of really good basses use it as a body wood.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby thumper4524 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:02 am

Ken Baker wrote:Welcome aboard!

thumper4524 wrote:I found a tony Levin OLP 5 stringer in a pawn shop a few years back. I kept seeing it in there over a period of a few months and I pulled the trigger. It's the pseudo quilt version with maple fretboard. The preamp is extremely noisy and the overall sound is thin, probably because of the cheap pickup and basswood body. It's certainly pretty though, at least from a distance.

An OLP with a preamp? Interesting.

As I'm sure you know, all the electronics can be changed out for good stuff. You could even get a good pickup and run it passive and have great tone. And don't discount that basswood body. It's actually a pretty decent tonewood and lots of really good basses use it as a body wood.

Ken...

I'm going to let someone else mod it because I just bought an L2000 and the wife is giving me grief about it. I would think about putting in a Nordstrand pickup and a cheap tone monster preamp. Specifically the SBK-3AD preamp.
thumper4524

Postby thumper4524 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:03 am

I think I may just put a Nordstrand MM5.2 and a decent preamp in it, along with putting G&L ultralight tuners on it.
Attachments
IMAG0622 (362x640).jpg
IMAG0622 (362x640).jpg (162.27 KiB) Viewed 20838 times
thumper4524

Previous

Return to The Others