Is an OLP Stingray worth investigating for $125?

You mean there are other basses? :D This is where those discussions go.

No sales or advertisements, no matter how well veiled, are permitted - not even a pointer elsewhere.

Is an OLP Stingray worth investigating for $125?

Postby Chris » Mon May 16, 2011 11:15 am

There's what I believe is an OLP Stingray on my local Craigslist. It's a 5 string with the larger pickguard that covers the route for both the pickup and controls. I don't know how many manufacturers make MM copies so I e-mailed the seller but haven't heard back yet.

I don't know much about the electronics in the OLPs. Does anyone here have any experience with these instruments and/or have any comments on how they sound?
Chris

Re: Is an OLP Stingray worth investigating for $125?

Postby Ken Baker » Mon May 16, 2011 12:51 pm

Chris wrote:There's what I believe is an OLP Stingray on my local Craigslist. It's a 5 string with the larger pickguard that covers the route for both the pickup and controls. I don't know how many manufacturers make MM copies so I e-mailed the seller but haven't heard back yet.

I don't know much about the electronics in the OLPs. Does anyone here have any experience with these instruments and/or have any comments on how they sound?

As I understand them, the OLPs had a decent build quality housing less than decent electronics. I think they're passive, but don't hold me to that. Lots of people have modded them into pretty good basses.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby deltafred » Mon May 16, 2011 2:05 pm

Chris/Ken

I believe that they were available in both passive and active (but I may be wrong), I was looking at them before I scored my beater SR5 and I think the Tony Levin model had a preamp, not sure what it was though.

I do however have an OLP pickup and they are nothing like the real thing. So if you want to make it sound anything like a SR then the pickup needs swapping. And everyone knows that the preamp has more than a bit to do with the SR sound so unless you are into soldering you could be well on your way to a used SR in upgrade and purchase costs.

A pretty good alternative is the SUB but they are getting pricey now they have been discontinued, if you can find one. They are SR pickup and 2 band preamp in a slab body with a nuclear hardened coating. (Oh and a goddamnawful pick guard)

fred
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby Ken Baker » Mon May 16, 2011 2:32 pm

deltafred wrote:(Oh and a goddamnawful pick guard)

Oh yeah!

Erzatz aluminum on phenolic board.

Ken...
Ken Baker
Site Admin

Postby deltafred » Mon May 16, 2011 2:46 pm

Aaaaggghhh - thats the one. Mine is now antique pearloid white, and much better for it.

Hey that's a fiver, I wish mine was.
deltafred
Global Mod

Postby Chris » Mon May 16, 2011 4:52 pm

Hmm, I think I'm going to pass on it. Thanks for the info, guys.
Chris

Postby bassman » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:03 pm

i know this is a late reply but I thought that I would add that I bought a OLP 5 string for about this same price and it is a very good bass for the money.

It is passive with two volumes and a tone control. Each volume control operates one coil(half) of the pickup so you can get some interesting tones that are not like the normal MM Five string.

I put shielding in mine but left the electronics stock. It is a very easy playing 5 string and well worth $125 IMHO.
bassman

Postby Chris » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:04 pm

I never followed up on it so I don't know if it sold or not, but thanks for the info.
Chris

Postby guitarmakermark » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:28 pm

I traded away two electric guitars for an OLP Stingray, and I'm really happy I did that!

My OLP is a 5-string, my very first fiver. Had been considering getting a 5-string for years, but up until I found this OLP, had never seen a fiver with a neck width I could comfortably handle.

I took the entire bass apart and spit-shined every single part, serviced the truss rod threads, put the bass back together. Then I leveled, re-crowned and polished the frets, followed by a complete set-up. This bass plays really nicely, and I'm happy with it.

The only area which could use some improvement would be the electronics; they're really nothing to write home about. Until I amass some extra cash, however, those cheapy pups and pots will have to suffice!

Mark
guitarmakermark

Postby deltafred » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:02 pm

Mark

I looked at OLP 5ers for months, nearly pulled the trigger a couple of times but didn't. I then bought a cheap acrylic bodied 5 to see if I could get on with the extra string. Played it to a couple of gigs then sold it and bought a MM5 when some schmuck offered me £500 for a rotted out old campervan (very small motor home) I was thinking of sending to the scrapyard. There's one born every minute.

It does not get much love since I bought my L-2500 Tribute, but neither do any of the other 7 basses I seem to have collected.

I used to get all worked up about string spacing (I had played a 62P for about 25 years), then a friend of mine bought a Bass Collection active Jazz copy (80s style) with really tight spacing. Every time I went to see him out came the guitars (and a few beers) and I usually ended up playing this thing. For a start It really annoyed me but after a few nights I never noticed. Now I can pick up anything and I have no idea what the spacing is they are all basses. It is just he low B or lack of it that throws me if I spend too much time on one sort.

fred
deltafred
Global Mod

Next

Return to The Others